I’m in the market for a Linux friendly ultralight laptop to check web apps and run terminal, nothing fancier then that. Do any cheap systems exits these days? I was looking at a chrome book but apparently the mediatek chip doesn’t play nicely with FOSS.

Any thoughts?

• KᑌᔕᕼIᗩ
    link
    fedilink
    English
    327 months ago

Ex-corporate refurbished laptop from the last 3 or 4 years for about $300 tops is perfect for this.

• @shortly2139@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      77 months ago

Can confirm, I use an old HP elitebook from work. Battery life is great, beats my wives new lenovo. More than powerful enough to browse the web and play in the terminal. Also only gets hot if I run a game on it; I wouldnt advise that though.

• @spader312@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      47 months ago

Can confirm, bought a Dell latitude 4790 which is a corporate machine refurbished for $270. It’s super powerful for the price, runs Fedora perfectly.

• @alonely0@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    7 months ago

I have a second-hand Thinkpad T480s that I love, I bought it for 250$ on ebay and replaced its battery because it was fried (+40$). I use it for school and it works flawlessly, around 8h of battery life in a well-configured OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. According to the specs sheet it shouldn’t be, but for some reason it is noticeably lighter than a friend of mine’s MacBook Air 2021.

What I really love about it is the ThinkDock Ultra (iirc 30$ on ebay), which lets me place the laptop on my table, and by just sliding a piece of plastic, it connects all of my peripherals in a second. I love this laptop so much that I’ll use it until it dies so hard that it can’t be fixed at all.

laptop, cover laptop, open dock, no laptop dock, I/O laptop + dock

• @Spyder@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    117 months ago

I bought a used Lenovo ThinkPad X240 Laptop i5 | 8GB RAM | 500GB HDD | for 50$ as a couch laptop to run Linux / Python code. I can browse the internet and it’s light.

• @rikonium@discuss.tchncs.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    117 months ago

When you say “couch” my first thought is a recent-ish Celeron or Pentium Silver fanless laptop. Performance akin to a Core 2 Duo but no fan to get blocked sitting on the couch. Like the Latitude 3210(?)

Laptops that appeal to me are often bottom breathers so it’s one thing I miss from my old MB Air.

• @LainOfTheWired@lemy.lol
    link
    fedilink
    English
    117 months ago

It’s not the thinnest thing ever, but I find my old ThinkPad X230 very light and easy to use for extended periods on my lap

• @Pantherina@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    107 months ago

Any chromebook that supports Coreboot. Absolutely unrepairable and very low storage, but good Linux support and coreboot!

mrchromebox.tech/devices

• @13617@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      37 months ago

But be aware a ton of features that would work on ChromeOS don’t work, I’ve done this to 4 and all have separate problems

• @Pantherina@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        17 months ago

Very interesting! I had an Acer Chromebook I couldnt even open up, so I got rid of it as fast as possible.

Could you share experiences?

• keyboard layouts, missing buttons
        • what features are missing?
        • anything else thats good to know?
  • @stargazingpenguin@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    67 months ago

What price bracket are you looking at? The two laptops that I normally use in that situation is a used Thinkpad X1 Carbon I got on eBay, and a HP Dev One that works pretty well for that.

• parallaxOP
      link
      fedilink
      27 months ago

I am fine with refurbished but ideally looking for around 13" and under a couple hundred bucks

• @stargazingpenguin@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        7 months ago

The Thinkpad link that was shared below looks pretty nice, they tend to be fairly cheap and easy to get replacement batteries and parts. There’s a lot available in that $150 to $200 bracket on eBay. Edit: I just saw it’s 14", so a bit bigger than what you wanted. You can filter by screen size and price on eBay to give you an idea of what you can get. You may need a new battery depending on the age, so keep that in mind.

• @spader312@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    67 months ago

I bought a refurbished dall latitude 7490 for like 270$. For the price it’s a powerful machine, 16gb ram and i7 processor. Installed fedora on it and I’m in love with it. For the price it puts out the power I need for software development.

• Corroded
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        7 months ago

What about something like the Thinkpad X201? It’s not ultralight but it is quite small.

Other than that I’d probably say a Chromebook with a Linux install. Second hand they are quite cheap and can likely do what you are after. A lot of them have passive cooling which is nice for a couch device. I was able to install libreboot on my C201P quite easily and now it just runs a traditional Linux install

• @n2burns@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          7 months ago

I’m writing this on my x201 on my couch. I love it, but it’s not a great couch laptop. It’s kind of heavy, runs hot, and has poor battery life vs more-recent comparables.

• Corroded
            link
            fedilink
            English
            27 months ago

Yeah the heat would be what would make me hesistate to use it as a couch laptop but if OP wants something cheap I would say it’s an okay option

• @IsoKiero@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          37 months ago

I used to have X230 as a daily driver for laptop (I got separate desktop) and it’s a really nice machine for it’s size. Only the display is a bit lacking by todays standards as it’s only 1368x768, but for 150€ (give or take) it’s not too bad.

• @alonely0@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      7 months ago

I prefer the T480 series (imo Thinkpad went downhill from there onwards). The non-s is a great off-road laptop, but for what OP is asking, the T480s seems like a more sensible choice.

• @Veraxis@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    57 months ago

As others have mentioned, secondhand laptops and surplus business laptops are very affordable and probably better value for the money than a chromebook. My understanding is that drivers for things like fingerprint sensors, SD card readers, or oddball Wi-Fi chipsets can be issues to watch out for. But personally I don’t care about the fingerprint sensor and only the Wi-Fi would be a major issue to me.

A couple years ago now I picked up a used Acer Swift with 8th gen intel and a dent in the back lid for something like $200 to use as my “throw in a backpack for travel” laptop, and it has been working great. In retrospect, I would have looked for something with 16GB of RAM or upgradeable RAM (8GB soldered to the motherboard, ugh), but aside from that minor gripe it has been a good experience.