Welcome to the RD thread!

This is a place for casual random chat and discussion.

A reminder for everyone to always follow the community rules and observe the Code of Conduct.

Mobile apps
Quick tips
Daily artwork
Reminders
  • Report inappropriate comments and violators
  • Message the moderation team for any issues
  • Yeontura
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    11 months ago

NANALO NA ANG PILIPINAS SA WOMEN’S WORLD CUP PERO PUTANG-INA HINDI PA RIN TAPOS ANG FLYOVER SA MOLINO

Edit: I regret this not

• decadentrebelM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Nauna pa Filipinas kaysa sa Azkals. Maybe they need their own LAQ (Lemmy Ask Q).

• Yeontura
        link
        fedilink
        English
        311 months ago

Hope it won’t end up in another disaster unlike the Azkals.

• angmatandaa
          link
          fedilink
          English
          311 months ago

That Azkals AMA was incredibly embarrassing for Filipino football fans, as the involved players proved they couldn’t care to be approachable. So why root for them at all? It kinda killed what little interest I had that time.

• decadentrebelM
            link
            fedilink
            English
            411 months ago

One of the Younghusbands had a response to a question about how to get more Filipinos to like football and it sounded like it was a verbatim cut and paste from a self-help book.

• Yeontura
              link
              fedilink
              English
              edit-2
              11 months ago

This is yet another reason football will have a difficult time growing in popularity in this country: Stars need to connect and relate with fans more.

• @DodgeBallNuts@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I wonder how hard Tagalog Filipino is to learn from a grammatical perspective. I mean, if you think about it, our monosyllabic particles alone are very diverse in functions (“ba”, “pa”, “nga”, “sa”, “na”).

Like these particles alone can change the entire meaning of a sentence:

• “Meron pa?” (surprised)
    • “Meron na?” (not surprised)
    • “Meron nga?” (don’t lie to me)
    • “Meron ba?” (legitimately inquiring)
    • “Meron sa?” (finding)

A conversation:

• “Meron bang kalabasa sa palengke?”
    • “Meron na.”
    • “Kailan pa?”
    • “Kahapon pa.”
    • “Magkano ba?”
    • “PHP30.00 na.”
    • “Ang mahal na, ah.”
    • “Oo nga.”

EDIT: Changed “Tagalog” to “Filipino” because it’s tantamount to saying langue d’oil is French, Castillian is Spanish, or Old English is Modern English.

• @DodgeBallNuts@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        511 months ago

I think what you mean is “meron pa nga ba? Sana”?

Isa pa yan. We take it for granted, but we mash these monosyllabic particles together and somehow change what the sentence means.

“Meron pa” has certainty. “Meron pa nga” has insistence. “Meron pa nga ba?” questions the insistent certainty of the previous particles.

It’s fun and at the same time confusing to think about HAHAHA

• megane-kun
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I once downloaded and tried to read a reference grammar for Filipino (Tagalog, as it’s indicated in the document). It was an interesting experience trying to make sense of that document with zero linguistics knowledge and only guessing using what I “innately know” of the language.

As far as “one particle changing the meaning of the entire sentence” I think a close analog would be the Japanese か/かな/ね used at the end of a sentence.

For example:

美味しいですね。

[Romaji] Oishii desune(?)

[Filipino] Masarap 'no?

美味しいですか。

[Romaji] Oishii desuka?
      [Filipino] Masarap ba?

美味しいかな。

[Romaji] Oishii kana?
      [Filipino] Masarap kaya?

• @DodgeBallNuts@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        11 months ago

What’s interesting is that I’m actually currently learning Japanese (actually, I have just started - currently finishing Wanikani G1 and JLPT N5) and, while resting from a kanji test, I decided to look at our language from a language learner’s perspective. And I found it pretty hard HAHAHAHA. Like hell, how would I know if the “pa” in “hindi pa” means “yet” and not “more” (as in “isa pa”) or “still” (as in “papunta pa lang”).

フィリフィン人は面白い。

• megane-kun
          link
          fedilink
          English
          111 months ago

Yep, Filipino is hard to analyze grammatically from a non-native speaker’s perspective.

I actually have gone into that rabbit hole through an exchange student who who really wanted to learn our language. She asked a lot of questions about (basic) Filipino grammar, and we’ve probably spent more than an hour (in a 1.5 hour class “slot”) arguing amongst ourselves about a fairly common grammatical construct. If I am recalling it correctly, it’s something to do with what exactly the word ‘ay’ stands for, like in the sentence “Si nanay ay nagluluto” (which can be converted to “Nagluluto si nanay,” which started the entire argument).

• @monknonoke@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    811 months ago

Kinilig ang frennies because I had a meet cute moment while we were out. I think masyadong romantiko ang mga kaluluwa nila because the moment didn’t really even register with me. Kung sila hopeless romantic siguro ako hopeless lang 😆 jk

Nako, ayaw ko maglagay ng meaning sa mga bagay-bagay sumasakit lang ulo ko. I’ll only allow myself to feel kilig kapag mukhang matino naman yung tao, napag-usapan na at may patutunguhan if it goes well. Hindi naman challenge pakiligin o magka feelings ako, it’s just a matter of compatibility and if it’s going to go somewhere.

It just be like that. We deserve people who will treat us right at pasasayahin tayo. I feel so grown up charot. Kapag napadaan ako sa timezone I shall practice my shooting zombies skill with composure. 🔫 maybe it’s an inner child thing, me and zombies

• eeeeyayyyy
    link
    fedilink
    English
    711 months ago

Despite the shittons Microsoft added, Edge is a more customizable and performs better than Google Chrome.

• eeeeyayyyy
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Chrome looks cleaner, but extensively tracks you everywhere with their Google trackers Oh wait, Edge doesn’t block Google’s doubleclick.

• decadentrebelM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        111 months ago

I agree. My work involves having 15+ tabs open and Chrome turns my laptop into an unusable turtle or, worse, puts the tabs on sleep and refreshes when you move to it. Edge isn’t the best, but does handle that a lot better.

• mlmnjk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      111 months ago

Same same. Edge din gamit ko. Gusto ko rin sa Edge yung nakakagawa ng folder for all the tabs para malinis tapos pwede pa i-label. When you search, may suggestion/sagot yun chatbot. If you use the chatbot, naglalagay siya ng links for reference unlike other chatbots na sasagot lang.

• megane-kun
      link
      fedilink
      English
      011 months ago

I refuse to use Edge even when I’m on a Windows machine out of principle (or spite, either works), but when I do (when I have to), I‌ think it’s better than Google Chrome. In fact, I don’t think I even have Google Chrome on my Windows installation.

Although I have my questions.

Is Edge better (than Google Chrome) for Windows machines only? And if so, is it because MS have devoted some time optimizing it for Windows? Or did MS do a good job across the board (all supported OS’es)? Did the IE memes finally get them to actually improve on things? That the reputation of IE has spurred them to make Edge the best browser it can be (despite demands from corporate/marketing)?

• eeeeyayyyy
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        11 months ago

I recently went on Edge yesterday lang, at ito ang first impressions ko, despite na napaka-tagal ko nang gumagamit ng Windows.

Is Edge better (than Google Chrome) for Windows machines only?

It could be. Chromium and Windows is widely used, and in order to “impress” users, Microsoft amped Chromium engine to its limitations. this is the result.

• megane-kun
          link
          fedilink
          English
          211 months ago

in order to “impress” users, Microsoft amped Chromium engine to its limitations. this is the result.

Well, given what I think MS wants Edge to do, impressing users to get them to use the browser regularly is the first, and most important step. (And the rest, the user need not contemplate, “for their own good.”)

• Yeontura
    link
    fedilink
    English
    611 months ago

Naka-goal na ang Pilipinas sa Women’s World Cup hindi pa rin tapos ang flyover sa Molino

• eeeeyayyyy
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Remember:

MBps or MB/s ≠ Mbps

To get your Internet speed in megabyte, just divide your megabit (Mbps) with 8.

5Mbps / 8 = 0.625MB/s or 625KBps

EDIT: Putangina, sabaw na sabaw ako. Bat ko ito shinare? lol

• @mr_m00@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    511 months ago

The city just suspended work and classes in public and private institutions. It’s already 4:20pm . 💀

• decadentrebelM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      211 months ago

Mukhang babagsak na ulan anytime soon. The winds are starting to pick up the last hour or so.

• Takina's Old Pair™
    link
    fedilink
    English
    511 months ago

Kung hindi mga peste, amoy naman yung nakakaasar.

Bakit kasi ayaw pa bumili nung kailangan para mawala yung amoy dito kainaman na…

• @willnever_fadeaway@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    11 months ago

How does one deal with demotivation to work or to do most things, other than just pass the time and stare at the nothingness and the lack of direction of one’s life? How does one regain the creative spark that was lost, the joy of life, the curiosity to learn and understand not just those around us but also within ourselves. How does one be "alive’?

Just leaving my random thoughts here.

• megane-kun
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      11 months ago

On a more practical sense, someone once told me that discipline and habit is far more important than motivation once things are properly rolling. Motivation might be the spark that gotten things rolling, but it’s discipline and habit that keeps it going. (And that I ought to listen to that advice myself.)

However, in a more philosophical sense, I think accepting that you’ve lost your own spark and facing that very question “how does one be alive?” with the intent of reigniting that lost spark is pretty much facing the absurd. That facing that question every waking day of one’s life, answering that question for every moment, is pretty much the point. Whether or not the answer makes sense (in the moment or otherwise) or not is irrelevant, because the value is not in the answer, but in the way we face it.

It could be that for today, I could face it by making a slight detour in my daily commute and allowing myself to get lost on the way home, for example. It could be that for some other day, just as an example, I could choose to face it by not wearing any underwear during a work zoom meeting, relishing on that danger of being exposed. Or it could be as trivial as making pancit by using spaghetti. Or making spaghetti by using pancit bihon. All trivial things in the big picture, but if it makes my day any little more tolerable, then so be it.

• tahann
      link
      English
      211 months ago

Demotivation. Treat it as a normal thing. Capitalists just attached a negative connotation to it.

• megane-kun
        link
        fedilink
        English
        311 months ago

Just looking at what happened to the word ‘anomie’, ugh. I won’t even pretend to even have a slightest idea what that word means.

However, I take it to mean (as baseless as it could be) as “the individual has lost the will to participate in the wider society,” which begs the question: “Why?” How could it be that a number of people have simply gotten detached to the wider world around them? Some people could point to those people and say “they’re just being spoiled, selfish little brats who refuse to grow up,” while some others point to the society, the system as a whole having failed those people.

And for my personal opinion, “society” sees it fit to ignore and let those people be. That there’s some “better person out there” willing to be a cog. And if things don’t drastically change, “society” (and I mean, those who sit over the people), won’t even need people in the first place—with AI and machines making up for any lost productivity, or even more.

• tahann
          link
          fedilink
          English
          111 months ago

Sana nga society just lets them be, di ba? Based on experience, society forces people to conform. If they don’t conform, they might be seen as a threat for extermination. Society will use them as cautionary tales. And society lived happily ever after.

Well, iba-iba naman dahilan para mademotivate. Exag naman yung spoiled bratz image. Pwede naman they just don’t see a favorable future pursuing their current path. Pwede naman need lang magpahinga. Or may ibang issues na di maaddress dahil other matters consume too much resources. Iba din diskarte depende sa dahilan. Best pa din is to just chill muna.

• megane-kun
            link
            fedilink
            English
            111 months ago

Sana nga society just lets them be, di ba? Based on experience, society forces people to conform.

The image I had in my mind when‌ I wrote that part (which ties in to the “spoiled brats” quote) is the Japanese hikikomori phenomenon, mixed with the mental health situation elsewhere. As I imagine it, society sees it fit to let lots of these individuals fall into the cracks, only taking action when they “cause harm” (which could be as nebulous as it needs to be).

And yeah, I admit that the “spoiled brats” portion is exaggerated (although I’ve personally heard someone adopt a similar sentiment [“isip-bata, ayaw ng responsibilidad”] when talking about someone who’s obviously mentally unwell). It is a caricature I used to highlight the polar opposites of a spectrum of opinion regarding the phenomenon. One end blames the individual, the other blames society. Individual opinion may even go off this spectrum, choosing instead to analyze things on a more holistic way.

As I think it is a social phenomenon, I am more inclined to blaming society: that it is a failure of society to make sure individuals under it are well-adjusted. And that while individuals can flourish even under the most hostile of circumstances, a society that fails its individuals sows the seeds of its own destruction.

Iba din diskarte depende sa dahilan. Best pa din is to just chill muna.

Yeah, individually, it’s up to one’s circumstances talaga, and one’s answers are up to the person, as I’ve illustrated in my other reply (via my lemmy.world doppelganger). I’m sorry that I suddenly switched to a different context in my reply to you. I should have made that clear.

• tahann
              link
              English
              211 months ago

Naghang naman yung world account ko, so balik ako dito.

Napansin mo ba yung image sa wiki page na nishare mo? Bakit kaya yun ang piniling image, ano? Dunno about you, but medyo natheaten lola mo. Bakit kasi ganun? Or intentional kaya na gusto palabasin ng page na yun na they could be threatening?

Pero kidding aside, nung bata ako, may pangarap akong maging ermetanyo. Bata pa lang ako, I feel I’m too weird for this world. Pero I didn’t see it as demotivation. Nakakapagod lang lagi mag explain ng sarili. Lucky for me, there are those who can figure me out. I’m now in my rightful place in the machine. 🥴

• megane-kun
                link
                fedilink
                English
                211 months ago

Naghang naman yung world account ko, so balik ako dito.

Nag-hang naman yung lemm.ee kanina, kaya nag-lemmy.world ako. I hope everything is okay with the different lemmy instances.

Napansin mo ba yung image sa wiki page na nishare mo? Bakit kaya yun ang piniling image, ano? Dunno about you, but medyo natheaten lola mo. Bakit kasi ganun? Or intentional kaya na gusto palabasin ng page na yun na they could be threatening?

I’ll say it out loud. It has school shooter vibes. There, I said it. Sayang since I kinda find that guy cute (and this better not awaken anything in me). Anyways, I think the article is far better off if that picture wasn’t there.

And we’re not alone. A discussion in the talk page of the article has a user say this:

What proof do we have that that person really is a hikikomori, and not just an ordinary Japanese young man? The photo only serves to consolidate prejudices against hikikomori.

A different, and in my opinion, worse illustration featured in an older revision is discussed elsewhere.

Pero kidding aside, nung bata ako, may pangarap akong maging ermetanyo. Bata pa lang ako, I feel I’m too weird for this world. Pero I didn’t see it as demotivation. Nakakapagod lang lagi mag explain ng sarili.

IDK if it says something about the both of us, but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. If a child can dream of being a scientist someday, what’s wrong with someone wanting to be a hermit someday? However, I think that society only tolerates it until some threshold (maybe puberty, 18y/o, or 21y/o). After that, it’s seen as ‘childish’ (insert Le Petit Prince commentary here).

But yeah, I could argue that it’s not really ‘demotivation’ (in the sense that it can be counted as anomie). Neither is my often fantasized ‘time stop’ superpower (fueled by my own remaining lifespan). In both of those, it’s still “serving society”. In the hermit scenario, it’s through the cultivation of wisdom, in which society reaps either through people visiting the hermit for wisdom, or the hermit’s posthumous writings. In my scenario, it’s through the assumption that I’m to re-engage in society eventually, recharged and better able to ‘do my duty.’

So, bale, I draw a distinction between ‘demotivation’ used in these two senses:

• “I don’t want to do this, but I have to—eventually, I must” —— this is more or less tolerated and (relatively) unproblematic, as you’re still having the will to meaningfully engage with society.
                • “Fuck this shit! Why should I even have to do this?!” —— I see this as being part of the wider (and confusing) ‘anomie’ phenomenon—at least, the way I understand it—since there is already a crack, if not a complete break, in that will to meaningfully engage with society.

Damn, sorry for the wall of text. I admit I’ve gotten a bit fired up with this discussion.

• eeeeyayyyy
    link
    fedilink
    English
    411 months ago

LMAO to those dumdums na hindi nagregister ng SIMs bago magdeadline. Panay reklamo sa sobrang bagal ng proseso ngayon.