The Android KitKat (KK) platform was first released ~10 years ago and since then, we’ve introduced many innovative improvements and features for Android, which are unavailable on KK. As of July 2023, the active device count on KK is below 1% as more and more users update to the latest Android versions. Therefore, we are no longer supporting KK in future releases of Google Play services. KK devices will not receive versions of the Play Services APK beyond 23.30.99.

Is anyone here still using KitKat? 🤔

• bron
    link
    fedilink
    3411 months ago

I have not heard that name in a long time. Throwback to the days of installing ROMs and rooting my Moto X. Felt like a good time for Android.

• ijeffOPM
      link
      fedilink
      711 months ago

Oh man. I miss my Moto X. That one really had a perfect in-hand feel! It’s too bad mine died on me rather suddenly relatively early into its life.

• bron
        link
        fedilink
        511 months ago

It really did have the perfect form. No other phone has really matched the feel really.

• @steltek@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        511 months ago

I wish I could find a sub 5 inch screen that hits the other requirements (excellent camera, fully root-able). I’m afraid Pixels have run away with my wallet.

For me, the screen size is what enabled that comfortable fit.

• ijeffOPM
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          11 months ago

I feel like it was the thickness and grippy texture that didn’t for me, personally. I have a harder time with thin devices since they don’t really cradle in my palm.

• Dandroid
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1111 months ago

My first was Froyo. Thinking back to pre Honeycomb (Ice Cream Sandwich for those features to come to phones) makes me really appreciate how far Android has come. Each update was huuuuuge. Now each year the version increases and I don’t notice a single new thing. It’s boring by comparison, but it’s really nice that Android is so good now that the updates can be boring.

• @ijeff@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        1011 months ago

I haven’t seen the word Froyo in so long! Agreed, the changes used to be so visually significant.

• @donio@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        511 months ago

Same for me, or at least around that time period. First class hardware keyboard support too.

• @henfredemars@lemdro.id
      link
      fedilink
      English
      411 months ago

Oh, my heart. I remember messaging my now wife with one on Skype. It was so laggy because my phone was super budget but I was amazed what I could do nonetheless.

I can still feel the plastic texture and the delayed vibration following a half second later.

• Elle
    link
    fedilink
    English
    2811 months ago

In case anyone else doesn’t keep track of Android versions by the fun nicknames, here’s a Wikipedia page for the versions with numbers included. KitKat was version 4.4 of Android.

Honestly couldn’t remember which numbered version this was & couldn’t imagine I was alone in that, lol

• @ChristianWS@lemmy.eco.br
      link
      fedilink
      English
      711 months ago

I remember the small outrage that happened when Google stopped officially calling Android versions by desserts. Nowadays I can’t imagine going back.

It was always weird because it only became clear with Android 6 (Marshmallow) and 7 (Nougat) that Google stopped making major versions with x.y numbers, with x.1 being exception. You couldn’t just ask someone if they were on Android 4 cause there was at least 3 major Android versions, so it was easier to use the dessert names.

It was also weird having to wonder if you should translate the dessert name when speaking casually about it.

• @Moonrise2473@feddit.it
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1711 months ago

I remind to anyone that any website using a letsencrypt SSL certificate won’t be accessible from android<7 next year, unless the owner manually changes the default browser to Firefox.

Basically everyone using Android<7 won’t be able to access 6% of global websites because of the expired root certificates. They won’t know how to bypass the warning nor how to install Firefox, they will just buy a new phone

• @CoderKat@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        511 months ago

I’m not sure if it’s even just as easy as “use Firefox” like the original comment implies. For your web browser, sure. But presumably these root certs are used by all apps. And thus many apps that depend on the internet would break (most wouldn’t do what Firefox does and being your own root CA certs).

• @LucyLastic@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1111 months ago

I still use my HTC Android 1.2 phone for Google maps sometimes, some people will be out there still using them … I’m guessing it’s an old enough version that the still active devices are serviceable and well built.

• @LucyLastic@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        611 months ago

Dirtbike handlebars, I don’t want my usual phone in a risky position. It runs off a USB socket from the bike’s electrics and I hotspot data from my regular phone.

I also have a Garmin Montana, but that’s quite big and bulky and overkill just to see where I am when I get lost.

• @ijeff@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          311 months ago

Nice! That’s a good idea. I should consider mounting my old Note 8 to my MTB handlebars.

• downpunxx
    link
    fedilink
    1011 months ago

I still use my Galaxy S5 for kitchen recipes stored in my OneDrive

• Lilia Roo
    link
    fedilink
    English
    911 months ago

My first smartphone ran KitKat. I’m surprised there was still any level of support for KitKat for that long :O

• quortez
    link
    fedilink
    811 months ago

Farewell to #HoloYolo - the last release of its generation, and the first of Android RunTime

• efftee
    link
    fedilink
    611 months ago

Thought that had already happened tbh app developers stopped supporting it years ago

• @sv1sjp@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    511 months ago

In terms of vulnerabilities, Even Android 9 is dangerous. Why whould someone use an Android Kitkat device nowadays?

• @jayandp@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      511 months ago

I’ve seen some old Android based eReaders that people still use, but never got updated beyond Android 4.4. Heck, I used a rooted Nook Simple Touch for years, and that thing was running Android 2.1. I only upgraded when the battery was dying out and most software was dropping support for it, since I was using it to read books and news articles, not to do banking.

I’ve also seen some older folk that still rock Android 4.x devices. They didn’t want to upgrade because they had their phones for so long they missed the incremental Android UI changes and were now confused by newer phones. I had to force a couple relatives to switch to new phones since the networks were shutting down 3G support.

• @henfredemars@lemdro.id
      link
      fedilink
      English
      211 months ago

You might be surprised. My father uses a device about that age, but it’s a Facebook machine and phone call device. It’s fine for the use case if you’re not the type to place valuable information on your phone anyways.

• Never_Sm1le
    link
    fedilink
    English
    511 months ago

One of my really old tablet still running KK, it’s the last version that doesn’t make the tab run like dogshit

• Anti Weeb Penguin
    link
    fedilink
    English
    311 months ago

I have a Galaxy S duos with PAC ROM 4.4.4 intalled, I don’t use it anymore tho

• @ijeff@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      211 months ago

Keep an eye on that battery if you’re not using it. Thankfully it’s removable!

• ijeffOPM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          111 months ago

Might be worth dropping the battery off at a recycling centre! I should probably considering doing the same with my old devices…