My laptop is arriving on Monday and I haven’t picked a distro yet. I currently use Debian but that is on older hardware. I’m experienced with a lot of distros so I’m a bit flexible here. I was thinking openSUSE for the sake of the latest and greatest AMD drivers, but I do see that Fedora is officially supported while openSUSE is not. Are there any hardware compatibility issues I could expect?

• @baseless_discourse@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    7 months ago

The workflow

I am using fedora 39. I mainly use the laptop for email, slack, zoom, latex and light coding in vscodium, freetube, and occasionally some slides in libreoffice. However, I do use ltex extension, which runs a local languagetool instance when I write latex. So my work load is probably slightly more resource intensive than regular office work.

The problems:

It sometimes will have graphical glich (blinking white stripe in the middle) quite rarely when wake up from suspend. I expect it to happen around or less than once a week. I would typically use that opportunity to update anyway, so it dont bothet me that much.

Another problem is that the battery life is not ideal, I typically charge my laptop to below 85% battery, and it only last one and half an hour of video conferencing on zoom. For normal use, I am expecting three to four hours of battery life. So you will probably need a charger when you travel. Fortunately a tiny 30w PD phone charger is more than enough to keep the charge level during normal workload.

Several flatpak app do not work, including megasync and freetube; however their rpm version works flawlessly.

The speaker is not great, but good enough for youtube. It does work in bed, despite being a bottom firing speaker.

The good parts:

• The fan almost never spins, and the laptop barely gets hot.
    • The suspend battery life is amazing, I only lose couple percent over night.
    • Every hardware feature works out of the box for me, except fingerprint sensor. But that is on firmware 3.02, firmware 3.03 probably fixed the issue.
    • @raptir@lemdro.idOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      27 months ago

Hmmm, most reviews/forum posts I’ve read have said more like 6 hour battery life even with zoom calls so surprised to see your results. I guess we’ll see. Likely some driver issues with the current platform.

That said, I almost always have a charger around and never spend more than an hour or two at a time so it’s not a deal breaker regardless.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        7 months ago

I just got a new ram stick so that the laptop can avoid using swap, see if that fixes anything.

BTW, I got the ryzen 5 edition, which comes with a smaller battery.

link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        7 months ago

I did a lot of profiling, turns out vscode and ltex are very resource intensive. I changed ltex to a basic spell checker, the battery consumption dropped from 20w to 13w, which not great, but a huge imporvement.

I am thinking about replacing vscode with vim or emacs for more bettery life, but I am not ready to make the jump yet.

• @helenslunch@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    7 months ago

I wouldn’t expect hardware compatibility issues on distros they haven’t approved, otherwise they would be approved.

link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      7 months ago

I dont think this is the case: supported distro means that every problem is a priority bug for them.

It is very resource consuming to maintain support for a distro, they need to actively fix these bug, provide official guide, and official support. This is why they only support two distros, not because all the other distros are guaranteed to have hardware problems.

• @helenslunch@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        7 months ago

supported distro means that every problem is a priority bug for them.

And unsupported means bugs are not a priority and there is no guides or support. Sounds kinda like what I was saying.

• @raptir@lemdro.idOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          27 months ago

But with Linux that… isn’t how it works. If there are bugs with the AMD platform, those patches go back to AMD who includes it in their drivers that they publish in the Linux kernel. A guide to get something working on Fedora will generally work on Arch or openSUSE or Debian. Heck, I use the arch wiki all the time when using Debian and openSUSE…

• @GameWarrior
              link
              English
              27 months ago

If you file a support ticket their support team will help you. As I understand it that’s about it.