• be_excellent_to_each_other
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      7 months ago

I do see your point, but it’s out there now. How many thousands of people just grabbed it, or will, because of the article?

Just like PGP, decss, and countless other things, it will be kicking around at the usual places for anyone who wants it for long time, probably well past the point where anyone cares anymore.

• @Darorad@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        147 months ago

Oh, yeah, I was mostly joking, more people have it downloaded means it’s basically impossible to take down

• @Chronographs@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          107 months ago

Yeah it kills me when I see someone share something like this in the early stages of development though, like great you just ensured this will never see the light of day

• Freeman
        link
        fedilink
        English
        77 months ago

Nintendo already shouldnt care about it, as they dont release good emulators/PC Versions anyway.

• @paddirn@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      277 months ago

First rule of Game Club: We do not talk about fan-made games.

Second rule of Game Club: We DO NOT talk about fan-made games.

• @woelkchen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    947 months ago

I can’t believe Nintendo hasn’t taken it down yet

“So I report about it on PC Gamer and make Nintendo aware of it.”

• @kromem@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      197 months ago

It’s less Nintendo and more shitty trademark and IP laws.

If you don’t aggressively go after anyone that is transgressing your IP, you can lose it.

IP really needs major and comprehensive reform. It’s not going to happen anytime soon as too much is built up around the status quo, but it really should be done.

• AnonTwo
        link
        fedilink
        87 months ago

I’m pretty sure that only applies to trademark laws, not IP laws.

• @kromem@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          7 months ago

Zelda is trademarked

Edit: Also, it’s a bit more complicated in terms of IP, but it is relevant to future works.

For example, fictional characters.

Let’s take Mickey Mouse as an example. Steamboat Willie is entering public domain, so the protections on the character as defined in that work is entering the public domain. But characterization of the figure in works still under copyright that have added unique details are still protected.

But the test for infringement of a fictional character is twofold. (1) Can the figure be copyrighted? (2) Is there infringement of unique characteristics?

That second part becomes much more difficult to enforce if you’ve been allowing millions of variations of your protected character when you initial work defining the character is no longer enforceable.

So if LoZ on the NES enters the public domain making ‘Ganon’ as a pig usable by people, but since that game there’s been tons of spinoffs by others having Ganon as a human before Nintendo had Ganon as depicted in OoT, then they’d have a much harder time enforcing copyright on Ganon being depicted as a human even if Ganon as a pig was no longer under copyright.

No lawyer is going to say “yeah, let 3rd parties use your IP willy nilly, I’m sure it will be fine and not bite us in the ass later on.”

For example:

Copyright protection is effectively never lost, unless explicitly given away or the copyright has expired. However, if you do not actively defend your copyright, there may be broader unauthorized uses than you would like. It is a good idea to pursue enforcement actions as soon as you discover misuse of your copyright protected material.

Edit 2: Or the statute of limitations:

If you have experienced copyright infringement, you have the right to pursue a lawsuit. However, you only have a limited time frame during which to file a claim. This legal principle is called the “statute of limitations.” Ensuring that you file a claim to enforce your copyright within the statute of limitations is crucial. If you wait too long, you will lose the right to enforce your copyright and obtain your deserved damages.

So a fan project that you don’t enforce against for three years which eventually monetizes as competition without infringement trademarks would be a potential concern.

• AnonTwo
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            7 months ago

…yeah?

IP is different from trademark though. You’re using them interchangeably.

The main difference being IP doesn’t have a “challenge it or you lose it” rule.

• @kromem@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              37 months ago

See the edit to my comment. It’s not as clear cut as you might think, particularly when considering the enforcement across multiple works over time.

• AnonTwo
                link
                fedilink
                edit-2
                7 months ago

…You realize that none of that is setting precedent, it just means you can’t pursue, right? You still can’t lose the IP even in the worst-case scenario, and the first example you gave even says that.

Copyright protection is effectively never lost, unless explicitly given away or the copyright has expired.

You seem to just really strongly want to justify Nintendo’s actions, which are not the norm across the industry for how IP issues are handled…

Like yeah there’s shitty IP laws, and shitty trademark laws, but they don’t justify Nintendo’s specific reactions.

• @kromem@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  37 months ago

which are not the norm across the industry for how IP issues are handled…

Go ahead and cite whatever you think the ‘norm’ is then.

Where else do you see publishers turning a blind eye to unlicensed remakes of their games?

The difference isn’t Nintendo being more legal trigger happy, it’s that their stuff is way more often being used in unlicensed ways so they come up more often in stuff like this.

But there’s a ton of examples of the same being the ‘norm’:

You must have an odd sense of ‘norm’

• Ender of Games
        link
        fedilink
        English
        16 months ago

It’s *less about shitty trademark or copyright laws, and more about Nintendo.

First off, in all of your posts, you really don’t seem to realize that trademark has nothing to do with fan fiction or recreations. Not a single project that anyone has referenced has attempted to mimic Nintendo’s name and brand to sell a product. Zelda is trademarked, yes, so people can’t sell video games with “The Legend of Zelda” name- which has no bearing on this article or the work cited.

Second, the statute of limitations doesn’t go back three years to some arbitrary date, it goes back to when the alleged crime or infringement occurs. So if someone begins selling a TLoZ knockoff game, they have no grounds in court to say something dopey, like “well actually I started thinking about selling Zelda knockoff games five years ago, so even though I just started last month it is out of the statute of limitations”.

Third, from your list of shitty companies making it the norm, try Valve, who actively gives permission for people to mod and remake their games, and even allow the selling of remakes on their own platform. Or try Capcom, a Japanese company who has never attacked a fan game and still has full control over its IPs. But I digress, not being the norm has nothing to do with this.

If the laws surrounding copyright were suddenly and drastically changed today, Nintendo wouldn’t change their stance or their scare tactics. They don’t have to do it, they aren’t losing out on sales from it- and if modders had the ability to stand up for themselves in court, I don’t believe Nintendo would win even a notable amount of cases.

• CALIGVLA
    link
    fedilink
    English
    347 months ago

Oh don’t worry, Nintendo has a death squad en route to the creator’s house in this very instant.

• Computerchairgeneral
    link
    fedilink
    197 months ago

Game looks cool, but I always have mixed feelings about articles like this. On the one hand it helps raise awareness about the game to the people who want to play it, but it also helps raise awareness about the game to the people who are going to send the cease-and-desist letter.

• @Essence_of_Meh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      77 months ago

I’m pretty sure devs are fully aware of what’s going to happen which is why they avoided putting their names on the project and included the source code.

Hammer was always going to come down since they included game assets in the build - news articles won’t really change much on this matter,

• insomniac_lemon
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Including a trademarked term right in the title is the thing that gets most fan projects. It’s a multiplier for takedowns, it can’t get any easier for companies than running a simple script that just searches Itch/Gamejolt/Github for terms and then doing a mass takedown of the results. And that will even catch things with 3 downloads.

Sure user-added* or redone assets could help, but just distancing the name would help a lot more. Having 100% new assets won’t stop a takedown if you use trademarked terms (see DMCA’s Sky), and the DMCA system doesn’t really discourage overstepping unless somebody has the willingness/money/time to take it to court.

*=image detection could be a thing as well though, so be careful with screenshots especially with a logo

• @Essence_of_Meh@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          17 months ago

Of course, I hope my comment didn’t imply otherwise. Unfortunately even a different title and completely original assets (AM2R?) won’t help much with some companies.

Good enough project will catch their eye sooner or later anyway.

• @Azzu@lemm.ee
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          67 months ago

Just imagine what people would do if they didn’t have to work anymore!

Probably just sit on their asses and wither, I’m sure. No one will do cool projects that many will benefit from.

• all-knight-party
          link
          fedilink
          47 months ago

I don’t think it’s entirely on the thrill of seeing if they can, it’s also a passion project from their love of the original. They put it out there so people can enjoy the game in a fresh way, the way the devs want it to be able to be experienced.

• Gamers_Mate
    link
    fedilink
    187 months ago

Someone should get a bunch of games that Nintendo shut down and call it the forbidden library.

• Jonny
    link
    fedilink
    137 months ago

Well I’m glad I managed to hear about it before they do! LA DX was my first Zelda game. Time to relive some memories in HD!

• Dem Bosain
      link
      fedilink
      English
      47 months ago

The Link’s Awakening remake on Switch is worth your time. I loved the original, and I loved the remake. I hope they continue bringing their old games forward like this (LA, Mario RPG, etc.)

• Jonny
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Oh don’t you worry, I’ve completed it. But thank you :)

I agree, I thought it was great and I felt the art direction really fit the original perfectly!

I’ve been slowly working my way through 100%ing every Zelda game. Done almost all of them other than BotW & TotK.

• nafri
    link
    fedilink
    English
    87 months ago

keep it before nintendo ninja does their job

• @TBi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    47 months ago

I tried downloading and the website says the download was quarantined. Anyone else see this? I was able to download anyway.

• @Donut@leminal.space
      link
      fedilink
      English
      47 months ago

Yeah it’s a safeguard by Itch.io which flags potentially malicious users, but they let you proceed if you are sure you can trust the author