This is the most factual link I could find and I still no nothing more than a year ago because the letter HHS wrote is so redacted it may as well be a grocery list.

• @LordOfTheChia@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    6 months ago

The ball is in the DEA’s court. Some say it should be rescheduled by Spring:

https://mjbizdaily.com/a-look-at-dea-role-in-marijuana-rescheduling-process/

How long the DEA might take to form a response is an open question, though experts told MJBizDaily that an initial proposed rule could be issued by the end of the year and the process finalized by next spring.

What the DEA cannot do is reject the HHS recommendation outright, said Howard Sklamberg, who once served as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s top enforcement official.

This means marijuana’s days as a Schedule 1 drug are ending. It’s only a matter of when.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
        link
        56 months ago

The government is starting to realize they’re missing out on a bunch of tax revenue. Also, a stoned population is more complacent.

• @Death_Equity@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          66 months ago

They can save money on paying for the enforcement and make money on sales tax. Federal marijuana legalization is a win for everybody except the black market.

• @qooqie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    56 months ago

I really wouldn’t be surprised if the answer is as simple as they forgot. A lot of shit gets lost in the bureaucracy

• This isn’t the kind of thing you forget like missing a birthday. It’s a major directive from one institution to another, and it’s entirely possible it’s just being slow walked. These are all handled by working groups who may not be motivated to get it done.

I’m not sure if the situation might change if Trump gets re-elected.

• SnausagesinaBlanketOP
      link
      fedilink
      66 months ago

I really wouldn’t be surprised if the answer is as simple as they forgot.

I heard weed does that.

• @JSocial@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    36 months ago

I don’t see any evidence that this is about rescheduling anything, let alone specifically marijuana. Only thing I can tell is the date, the person, the fact that there was a recommendation, and somebody involved knows how to cite the USC.