• @Auzy@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    6 months ago

Sadly a lot of people won’t be able to take advantage of it, even in New houses.

I’ve been telling people to prewire access points and other locations with fibre and copper for the past year or so, and only a few installers have been taking it seriously.

It’s such a pity.

• @M500@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      26 months ago

Can you give some more details about which wires you would run? Is cat 6 good enough for the future, or is there something better?

• @Auzy@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        36 months ago

If you’re going to run copper, you’ll probably want to run 4 of them.

You still want to run some copper regardless (at least 1 or 2), but I’d also recommend fibre (om3/4/5). OM3 can achieve 100gbps fairly easily, and om4 is even faster

Om5 honestly is probably more than future proof (is orders of magnitude faster). If you run preterminated, it can save a lot of money on the install too.

Make sure you run conduit too

• @M500@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          16 months ago

Do these cables last like 20 years?

Is it not ok to just run some kind of Ethernet cables to keep costs down? I’m assuming fiber is pricey.

• @Auzy@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            16 months ago

CAT6 officially maxes out at 10gbps. CAT7 can apparently do 40gbps up to 50m, but i seem to recall the cables being fairly chunky

The theoretical maximum of Wifi 7 is 46gbps.

If you buy preterminated Fibre, it brings the cost down significantly (at least in the past, the main cost was terminating them), especially if you get it from companies like fs.com (I have no affiliation with them, and whilst they seem to be the cheapest in Australia, not sure its the same overseas).

OM3 is 100gbps minimum for shorter distances. OM4 is apparently 400gbps up to 150m I think. OM5 is 6x the speed of OM4 (so is insane)

• @M500@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              English
              26 months ago

Sorry, I hope I’m not asking too many questions.

It’s just that my wife and I have been talking about a house and I’d like to learn more about this as I’d have the builders run the lines.

I’ve never really worked with fiber before. Is this the idea for wireless relays that accept fiber as input? Would I also need to run some Ethernet cable to connect my laptop or desktop without using wifi?

• @Auzy@beehaw.org
                link
                fedilink
                English
                26 months ago

You should probably speak to your builder about how this stuff works honestly

But you would still run Ethernet primarily. Or use conduit to allow cables to be upgraded in the future

• @UserMeNever@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    46 months ago

The renewed focus on reliability is motivated by emerging applications. Imagine a wireless factory robot in a situation where a worker suddenly steps in front of it and the robot needs to make an immediate decision.

No! You should never use wireless link as part of a decision making system for a robot. It must be done localy with a dedicated real time system. If you can not do it then pay a human to do the work.

• @wreckedcarzz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    36 months ago

You know - and this is a radical idea that nobody working on the wifi standard has contemplated yet - we could, like, improve more than just one thing per iteration, perhaps. Last time I checked, EA wasn’t at the helm of this operations, we don’t need yearly releases. How about you go away and come back in like 5 years with an actual reason to upgrade my shit. Thanks.

• bjorney
      link
      fedilink
      English
      116 months ago

Did you read the article? There is a laundry list of improvements made in WiFi 7 other than MLO

• @Grass@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        46 months ago

Tbf the only reasons to read an article these days is to either shit on how bad the headline is, note how little meaningful information it has, and/or post a tl;Dr.

• @mtchristo@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    16 months ago

I wish they focused more on extending the range. If my LTE or GPS antenna can extend to a few hundred meters why shouldn’t why WiFi antenna too?