A New US Plant Will Use Captured CO2 to Make Millions of Gallons of Jet Fuel::Replacing half of a plane’s regular fuel with CO2-derived fuel can result in 90 percent fewer lifecycle emissions.

• youhavemykeys
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

i love the hate for corporations because they are indeed evil and corrupt and terrible but the fact our society uses jet fuel isn’t just because some evil corp twiddled his mustache, 90% of Americans have taken a flight in their life - they can’t all be a corporation! If i could snap my finger and all the corporations would be replaced by community run organisations (and yes i did it just in case it works) then people would still want and need to travel.

and yes i know you’re going to say trains but the look at the absolute shitshow of the UK’s HS2 which was made almost impossible by NIMBYS and ironically environmental protestors - the country that invented trains can’t even make a trainline any more because eco warriors padlock themselves to the diggers to save their favourite tree and every middle class property owner goes even wilder at the prospect of their lovely landscape being divided by a uncrossable river of loud steel which will negatively affect local house prices… The amount of lorries it would have taken off the M1 by now if it had been a simple process of building it is huge and it’d have provided a far better option than a MAN>LCY flight.

corporations exist because we give them money for goods and services we desire and require, it’s as simple as that - all this ‘big companies produce all the carbon’ only makes sense if you’re not relying on those companies for everything in your life - coca-cola wouldn’t exist as a company if everyone just drank water, just like blockbuster doesn’t exist as a company because people stopped renting DVDs.

anyway that’s not really important if we manage to get to the point where flying does not release harmful emissions into the atmosphere because then there’s absolutely no question at all flying is a great and efficient solution for travel and totally beats trains in ecological terms - having two small areas as airports require orders of magnitude less infrastructure than making a railway and maintaining it, would you rather have some electric / hydrogen planes flying quietly over the national parks or have them divided into slices with endless tunnels and bridges to facilitate a train network? I love trains, but i love cakes too even though i know they’re bad for me as they unbalance my diet. Cakes are great as a bit of a treat and in situations where extra calories and sugars are needed to make up for a deficit due to strenuous activity but they’re not an every day thing, trains are probably bit more like bread and cheese - it’s great as part of a well balanced diet, commuter trains and medium distance routes through easy terrane they’re like a cheese sandwich for lunch, but you can’t just eat bread and cheese for every meal.