Hello everyone,

Languages are a topic I like talking about, and I guess they always play a main role in dynamics across the European countries. I know that nowadays English is more or less the lingua franca, but I can’t help but think that we could have other auxiliary languages among languages from the same family.

A good example is Interlingua (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlingua), which is very easy to understand for Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Romanian and Catalan speakers. It will probably always stay a niche project known by a bunch of enthusiasts, but I can’t help but imagine what would change if those countries had a common language that could easily by used by all of their people (English is not that straightforward, especially for older people).

Site of the project: http://www.interlingua.com/

That also makes me ask which languages we could use here. Could be fun to try to have a day without English, and see the chaos that would ensue

• Nerd02
    link
    fedilink
    English
    68 months ago

I remember once seeing a thread on Reddit, either on r/YUROP or r/europe can’t really recall which of the two, where they banned English for the comment section of that thread and invited all Romance speakers to speak in their native language. It was surprising how anyone could pretty much understand and hold conversation with everyone else. Granted, it’s likely that written makes it a bit easier, compared to spoken, but it was very fun!

I suppose we could also hold something similar for Germanic or Slavics, if a sufficient number of those speaker were down to try this experiment

• @BlazeOP
      link
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Creo que podemos intentar, hay no problemo, es para haber fun.

• Nerd02
        link
        fedilink
        38 months ago

Direi che ci riusciamo senza problemi! Diventa più difficile quando la gente inizia a parlare le lingue strane, tipo il francese o il rumeno.

• @BlazeOP
          link
          38 months ago

Ah, si, estoy de acuerdo. El francés y el rumano son muy diferente que el italiano, el castellano y el portugués.