Researchers Alex Hanna and Emily M. Bender call on businesses not to succumb to this artificial “intelligence” hype.

• @HurlingDurling@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1011 months ago

I’ve never been scared for AI, I’ve been scared of the idiots who THINK it’s smart (smarter than them at least) and want to push ot to their employees and customers. My employer has been pushing more and more automation using AI for development that if it can make sense of the codebase our customers have, then I will happily retire and let it take the madness that is their codebases.

• @Mark_is_on_his_droid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1211 months ago

I believe in it as a work accelerator, as it helps me think through problems in areas I know well and can sort it’s bullshit out. Editing is faster than writing, and I frequently make typos in content I draft from scratch. ChatGPT has been a godsend for me professionally.

• @Geek_King@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    411 months ago

Sure, ChatGPT isn’t actually intelligent, but it’s a good approximation. You can ask ChatGPT a technical question, give it a ton of context to the question, and it’ll “understand” all the information you’ve given it and answer your question. That’s much more akin to asking an expert human who takes in the info, understands and answers, vs trying to find the answer via a search engine.

For me and other people in my life, ChatGPT has been intensely helpful job wise. I do double check any info it gives, but generally it’s been pretty solid.

• magic_lobster_party
      link
      fedilink
      211 months ago

ChatGPT and other LLMs are ideal for cases where 100% accuracy is not required. If you’re ok with getting wrong answers 80-90% of the time, then you have a legitimate use case for LLMs.

• @Geek_King@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        511 months ago

In terms of technical questions, especially older Microsoft related stuff, it does very well. My experience hasn’t been any where near 80-90% wrong answers. It all depends on the topics you’re asking about I suppose.

• @atticus88th@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      -211 months ago

The only people butthurt are politicians, journalists and artists that essentially copy and paste shit.

Basically all the jobs that can be done by a trained monkey.

• @Haha@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        -111 months ago

Let’s not insult the trained monkeys they had to work harder than any of them ever did :(