• @skoberlink@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    174 months ago

So the obvious question, how does this compare to KOReader? That’s had a long, stable life and, at first glance, seems to have the same goals. I didn’t see any kind of acknowledgement or comparison in the wiki.

• SzybetOP
      link
      English
      edit-2
      4 months ago

I will add it to the FAQ

This is an OS, not an 3 party app for the stock OS. Why does it exist? ( In my opinion at least):

• It doesn’t reset the whole ereader for no reason, no ads, no forced updates ( The stock OS does )
      • It has an app ecosystem, which won’t break after an update. We have many apps, some preinstalled some downloadable: https://github.com/Kobo-InkBox/user-applications
      • The system is really hackable, for example: It has xorg ( It’s not super stable but yea ), an alpine rootfs so a package manager. I added USB support to it ( hot pluggable, which is not possible on the stock OS, if at all ): audio, mouse, keyboard: https://github.com/Szybet/niAudio
      • I was interested in writing apps for my ereader. It was stupid for me that every app on the stock os ( Koreader, plato, Obenkyobo… ) has to implement their own sleep manager ( A developer in the community, Aramir still has nightmares after it ), wifi etc. Now InkBox and it’s background services manage that.
      • It’s stable as hell: There is a recovery mode in which you can export the whole SD card over USB, enable on screen boot logs. The system is immutable which helped me many times.
      • Once again, apps: We use musl and glibc so we are not limited by either one ( postmarketOS guys have problems running koreader because musl ). We also provide some ereader friendly libraries, a easy to use Qt toolchain ( I ported many Qt apps, with more or less success. The ones that are an official app are: feathernotes, rssguard, nachat, maps. The ones i gived up on: Marble, Okular )
      • We fix things broken on the main OS: At least for my kobo nia I made the touchscreen a kernel module and reset it every sleep / wakeup to prevent a lockup which happened to me on the stock OS. It also sleeps now in and doesn’t wake up, so better battery life in sleep. On every wifi connection it synces time, it drifts a bit.

We have a reader up but it’s not great. A rewrite is ongoing, will finish this year for sure. It won’t be better than koreader for sure, we don’t have 200 developers but it uses Qt, which enables us to use better looking UI than simple menus like Koreader / Plato.

Oh did i mention we have koreader as a user app? you can use it ;)

it also enabled us to do some crazy things: https://youtu.be/hRqquXvsR1Q

Yes, most or many of those things could be done on the stock OS - but no one did it for a simple reason: you want to control things or there will be chaos.

As for now, InkBox is mostly an app launcher for me, but I really like it for it. No more stock OS resets :) For the average user? if you are not interested in those apps, in not hacking your ereader, not doing something unusual with it InkBox is probably not interesting for you. But if you use koreader anyway, dislike the stock OS and like open source, you are welcome.

We are also looking for contributors ( Rust / C++ or anything really ), this project has more potential than it seems

More questions appeared, I will update this message on the wiki: https://github.com/Kobo-InkBox/inkbox/wiki/FAQ

• @skoberlink@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        24 months ago

Nice very solid answer. I didn’t understand it was a replacement OS. Do you have a browser?

I’d love an e-reader with a browser. Nothing fancy, just something for looking up lore or related topics while reading.

• SzybetOP
          link
          English
          34 months ago

We have netscape and midori browser but they arent great and you cant switch between them fast and reading.

A new rewrite for the current reader is on the go, it could improve on that

• @YodaDaCoda@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    84 months ago

This sounds really freaking cool! I was looking for something more in-depth than just koreader launched via nickelmenu. The world of e-ink just doesn’t seem well supported in the custom firmware space. Gonna give this a try on my Glo!

• @Churbleyimyam@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    44 months ago

This looks like an awesome project! I have a Kobo Clara HD which I would love to run an open OS on. My priorities would be:

• Being great for reading books, including having a dark mode
    • Supporting adjustment of colour temperature of the backlight
    • Being able to run syncthing on it. If I could have all the above (and also install CherryTree notes) I would probably throw away my phone!
    • SzybetOP
      link
      English
      34 months ago

We have koreader which has dark mode

Both our software and koreader support it ( maybe an update would be needed, idk - easy to add )

Syncthing is a user app already

We have feathernotes which is simmilar to cherry notes - only usb keyboard tho

There is an experimental image for the clara hd but eink performance is not great. Maybe you could help with testing? Idk

• @Churbleyimyam@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        24 months ago

That sounds really good - well done!

In what way is eink performance not great for the Clara HD?

Sure, I could help testing it. Do you have a download available?

• SzybetOP
      link
      English
      14 months ago

deleted by creator

• @SatyrSack@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        14 months ago

What is the limiting factor here? Is there a possibility this could be expanded to more devices in the near future?

• SzybetOP
          link
          English
          34 months ago

Some kindles are locked up on cpu level for no reason - fuck amazon

Apart from that, nothing really. Most often people just start to port devices, we help them and one day they dissapear wasting our time and effort :(

3 devices are being currently ported, anyone who has a ereader can come in and try to port it. Only time is needed, we can help with the rest.

The only device that we couldn’t port was the first sony ereader because some weird cpu watchdog ressetted the device after boot - so our knowledge was limited on a complicated device

The device also needs kernel sources to be released for it, but kobo and kindle do release them ( sometimes after complaining ) so thats fine too

• SzybetOP
      link
      English
      54 months ago

There is no minimum spec. It runs on a kobo mini 800 mhz 1 core cpu and 256MB of ram and lags a bit. On a kobo nia which has 1 Ghz 1 core 256 MB ram it’s fine

As I stated in the FAQ, even more performance could be traded for disk size, with a bigger sd card

• SzybetOP
          link
          English
          34 months ago

I’m not the creator but the only other person that contributes in a major way. “Second developer” as I like to call it