The origin of the term is contested, but may be derived from “George Stick”, named for a possible inventor.

I knew the device itself predated gaming, but I always assumed it gained the joystick name from some game company. I’m surprised to to learn its unrelated!

• @fubo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    624 months ago

I always thought video games got the term from pilots, and pilots got the term from the control stick’s resemblance to an erect penis.

• @PlasticExistence@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      414 months ago

It’s company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a joystick… always use the indefinite article ‘a’ joystick was found in your luggage. Never your joystick

• glibg10b
    link
    fedilink
    English
    524 months ago

may be derived from “George Stick”

This sounds like a joke

• @AllNewTypeFace@leminal.space
    link
    fedilink
    English
    424 months ago

The more plausible explanation is that joystick comes from the aviation parlance and was originally ribald sexual innuendo (those flyboys did need to blow off steam), with the “George Stick” explanation being invented after the fact to come up with a plausible clean etymology.

• @Paraneoptera@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      94 months ago

Plausible. What’s definitely true is that the George association has zero support from any reputable published source, and is just speculation.

• glibg10b
    link
    fedilink
    English
    374 months ago

may be derived from “George Stick”

Was the personal computer invented by “John Computer”?

• TWeaK
      link
      fedilink
      English
      224 months ago

Between those two and “cockpit”, early aviators certainly had a bit of an obsession with male genitals.

• Ada
    link
    fedilink
    English
    234 months ago

Well, this makes me feel old…

I remember when they were called joysticks, because they were computer versions of the things pilots use.

• livus
      link
      fedilink
      104 months ago

@ada me too, this made me feel super old as well.

One day are people going to think mice were named after mice?

• @delirious_owl
    link
    English
    114 months ago

Surely it was first used to describe a penis?

• @LemmyKnowsBest@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    104 months ago

I always assumed it was “joy” because games are fun, And it’s a stick design for playing video games so Joy. Stick. Joystick. But I’ve apparently assumed wrongly.

• ClarkFlankblast
    link
    fedilink
    English
    104 months ago

My uncle always calls my cousin “fuckstick”. I wonder where it originated?

• ZephyrXero
    link
    fedilink
    English
    44 months ago

Wow, and the first electronic 2 axis stick, like we still use today was invented all the way back in 1926 🤯