• @CookieJarObserver@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    18711 months ago

Rightfully so.

Lemmy servers are hosted by just some people that often don’t even accept donations, shoulder the entire legal liability and are sys admin all together by themselves.

And then there is the clownshow reddit being a gigantic company and not even able to not be a gigantic shitshow.

• edric
    link
    fedilink
    English
    7011 months ago

I’m actually seeing more and more .world users getting pissed as the downtimes become more frequent now.

• The_Worst
    link
    fedilink
    5511 months ago

IF you want to switch to an alternative instance use the tool Lasim to synchronize your accounts: synchronize subscriptions, settings and/or blocks. Tool is available for Windows, Linux and MacOs.

• PeleSpirit
    link
    fedilink
    English
    2711 months ago

I’ve been trying to find a smaller instance and I tried a couple, they see waaaaaay different things. I can’t even see lemmy.world on one of them. I might have to keep all of the instances and just jump around.

• frozen
      link
      fedilink
      3111 months ago

Join mine! I run several tools in order to federate with the most popular content automatically. I’m keeping user count limited, but sign ups are open at the moment.

• Bappity
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I tried lemm.ee and it’s cool but I see so many hexbear posts on the All tab from like any of their communities spewing hate and it’s frustrating to scroll past

• PeleSpirit
        link
        fedilink
        English
        311 months ago

Yeah, that’s a nah from me for that very reason. Those people should be shouting that stuff in their bathroom, not in a place where others have to hear it.

• @UgandaSans@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        211 months ago

I believe there is a way to block instances, I don’t know if it blocks comments but i believe it would block the posts

• TAG
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        11 months ago

What apps do you recommend for swapping instances?

I have tried Jerboa and Connect. Both allow me to swap accounts from the main menu, but I am brought back to me default start view and not the community/thread I was looking at.

• @Holodeck_Moriarty@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          11 months ago

I really like Liftoff for this. You can choose instances on the fly while posting, searching, or reading comments without losing your spot.

It’s really nice.

• PeleSpirit
            link
            fedilink
            English
            411 months ago

I love it too. In case you didn’t know, you can just lurk on other instances without having to have an account by adding just the instance.

• @Holodeck_Moriarty@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              111 months ago

I noticed that, because I went to add my beehaw account that I had created when I joined Lemmy, but I guess beehaw deleted it for being inactive or something. Beehaw still shows up on my instance list, and I kind of wish I could remove it.

• gabe [he/him]
      link
      fedilink
      611 months ago

Some have community seeding bots that pull top communities and posts periodically from other instances.

• PeleSpirit
        link
        fedilink
        English
        211 months ago

That makes sense, thanks for explaining. I couldn’t find a lot of instances in their search though either. Can the instance person make it so they have to approve each instance or something? This is a very simple one and I can’t believe they would be defederated.

• gabe [he/him]
          link
          fedilink
          411 months ago

My instance has it. It’s local communities are focused on a specific niche (books & writing) so it might not be your cup of tea though. But basically when setting it up you specify which instances it pulls from, how often it pulls and how many communities it can pull at a time. You can filter specific communities and instances, and it’ll automatically ignore instances you’ve already defederated from. By default it pulls the top /all posts from the instances you specify. Mine pulls from a couple big instances and smaller niche instances as well every day around noon to get a solid diverse amount of content. You can also auto disable NSFW communities from populating as well. It’s basically the equivalent of telling the bot to go to the front page of each instance, seeing the top posts of the day and pulling from each community that’s there to check if it’s federated into your instance or not and if it isn’t itll pull it in for you.

With the way lemmy functions if a problematic community starts hitting /all an instance admin can just remove the community and it won’t federate into the instance anymore. Ideally there would be more granular federation options in the future, but with the things that the seeding bot does now it works pretty well.

• PeleSpirit
            link
            fedilink
            English
            211 months ago

That is great information, thank you for explaining it to me. That explains why I’ve had issues trying to find my favorite communities on the smaller instances. I think it’s misleading when they say that you can pick any instance then, it really matters for what kind of admin you get and what you can see overall. I can’t see world on this super small instance but I can see beehaw. On world, I can’t see beehaw but I can see everything else the small instance can’t. I’m starting to see why people are confused when they join if they join a small instance.

• gabe [he/him]
              link
              fedilink
              311 months ago

Some of it is also federating content in, you don’t need an admin to do so for you. If you have a link to a different instances community, just pasting it into the search bar of your local instance will federate the community into your instance for you. Go to lemmyverse.net and find a community and its link then past it into the search of your local lemmy instance

• PeleSpirit
                link
                fedilink
                English
                211 months ago

I did that, that’s what I mean where it wouldn’t work. I’ve done it for tons of communities from world where they didn’t have it but it didn’t work on this small instance.

• @madcaesar@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    2611 months ago

I never gave reddit 1c and blocked all ads. I donate to lemmy.world.

I have zero anger when lemmy is down, I despised reddit, especially towards the end.

I really wish more people would donate to lemmy I think it’s totally fair to pay for someone to manage and help with running the site.

It’s hard to just say “volunteer”… Even if people volunteer and we can only afford to send 50% of their fee their way it’s still something…

If we want lemmy to thrive without ads we have to all pitch in. Just give 2$/ month… If we all did that we’d be able to hire people full time…

• Meldrik
      link
      fedilink
      1511 months ago

Lemmy.world is run by the same people as mastodon.world. I guess a lot of users from mastodon.world went to Lemmy.world and the rest was word of mouth.

• @Laticauda@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        1111 months ago

I think the name does a lot of heavy lifting in regards to pulling in new users. It sounds more official or general because of the world part.

• @tea@lemmy.today
          link
          fedilink
          811 months ago

Yeah, people just want a “generic” place because they generally don’t want to be pidgeon holed. I have nice and inoffensive lemmy.world and lemmy.today accounts because of this. I’m basically a vanilla NPC in my life and “sh.itjust.works” is simply too spicy!

• EmotionalSupportLancet [undecided]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      511 months ago

I think the draw is that it’s trying really hard to basically be Reddit on the fediverse. For the people who use the fediverse as a Reddit alternative that is probably seen as good.

• EmotionalSupportLancet [undecided]
          link
          fedilink
          English
          511 months ago

I agree, they’re speedrunning every bad decision that allows Reddit to be such a festering reactionary shithole.

The Reddit refugee wave is mad about Apollo not the fact Reddit sucks lol.

• @maracuya@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      11 months ago

wjats so good about lemmy.world compared to lemmy.ml

nothing. lemmy.ml just makes more sense to me.i figure the devs of the protocol should be able to maintain and update their own server, and so far that has proven to be correct.

• AlmightySnoo 🐢🇮🇱🇺🇦
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    11 months ago

The funny thing is that Reddit with its big teams and infrastructure was also sluggish and going down a lot this week and we keep forgetting that. No excuses for Reddit.

• @primalanimist@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    1211 months ago

Same reason I am here. I had two small communities for my interests there, but it was down so often that I decided to move here AND move my communities. This place seems a lot more stable. That’s really the downside of huge servers on lemmy IMO. If communities centralize on one server, whenever that one server is down, so are the communities for everyone.

I would totally run my own server but I’m not tech enough. I have spare hardware, and I have a 1GB fiber connection, but I am not a network security expert, so I am afraid my home IP address would be targeted and disrupt my house Internet in general. Even if I don’t allow others to create account or communities on my server, I still feel like it’s a risk for me because I am not skilled enough to deal with threats.

• @primalanimist@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        211 months ago

Yes. Both were only a few months old and I was the only one posting in them anyway, so I just started going back through all the links and posting them here. I’m sure there will be tools for automating it down the road, without it spamming the local feeds of the server it’s moving to, but right now I know of no such application or feature.