• @jonne@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      12511 months ago

Despite Disney making record profits, it’s ridiculous. Anyway, the streaming era was fun while it lasted, it’s back to using BitTorrent.

• metaStatic
            link
            fedilink
            -511 months ago

Damn, if only there was a way to do that. guess we just have to keep paying Disney then.

• @shortgiraffe@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            611 months ago

I switched a while back, I think so. Some premium features of plex are available free (like downloading media). It’s also less bloated. Personally I hated plex trying to shove it’s live tv packages or whatever at me. But honestly, if you’re happy with plex, I’d stick with it. They’re pretty similar.

• @ultimate_question@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            11 months ago

I’m not a power user but it’s way better than Plex imo. The personal media management features are on par with plex without all the bullshit ads / FAST services being shoved down your throat. To me it feels like Plex got too popular and the owners realized that a) they could make a shitload of money off of their existing userbase and b) the more they gear the app around FAST crap the more they can act like it’s used for legitimate reasons and not just piracy

• RBG
            link
            fedilink
            211 months ago

You can find tons of discussions of pros and cons online either in the dreaded reddit space of r/jellyfin and I think there are also already some threads on that in the lemmy community of jellyfin.

• @MTLion3@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        2011 months ago

Just like with all great new eras/technologies, big corporations just gotta fucking ruin it

• sadreality
      link
      fedilink
      5511 months ago

They are pissed they have to refi their corporate debt at higher rates so they are jacking up prices on peasants, share buy backs ain’t free.

For shit like streaming it should be pretty easy to vote with your money. This ain’t food or shelter.

• @bamboo@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      3911 months ago

I’d argue that Disney+ was already enshittification, as Disney used to have their content on Netflix but they decided they had to lose a bunch of money to force people into another subscription. This is enshittification squared.

• @Asafum@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      2811 months ago

They looked at the success Netflix had with their crackdown and decided they could profit off of it too. Most people won’t go elsewhere, they’ll just pay for it and justify the price increase unfortunately. :/

• @rippersnapper@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        311 months ago

But unless you’ve kids you’re more likely to drop Disney+. Even the recent Marvel series are meh 😕. I just cancelled mine

• prole
        link
        fedilink
        411 months ago

Pretty safe to assume, at least in the US, it’s always about profit maximization.

• @notannpc@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    6311 months ago

Oh no, you mean I need to buy bigger hard drives with the money I’ll save from cancelling another subscription? What a shame.

• DMmeYourNudes
    link
    fedilink
    5411 months ago

Did y’all know a VPN can cost less than $3 a month? Skip the Starbucks and hoist the colors.

• Eggyhead
    link
    fedilink
    4711 months ago

The price of things just keep getting higher and higher little by little, but my income isn’t anywhere near what it was before Covid.

• @NuPNuA@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      2411 months ago

That’s the issue, Covid boasted all these guys profits above and beyond normal as we were all stuck at home for two years with nothing else to spend on. No they want to maintain those profits but people still only have the same amount of money to go around.

• Prox
        link
        fedilink
        911 months ago

People have less money now because there are no govt wage supplements and student loan payments are being turned back on.

• @NuPNuA@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          411 months ago

I wasn’t aware they stopped student loan payments during Covid, but those on furlough were only getting 80% of their wage unless the company topped it up.

• @jasondj@ttrpg.network
        link
        fedilink
        111 months ago

Did it boost their profits? They may have gotten more subs and with it more revenue, but aren’t they paying royalties on every stream? Seems more streams per sub would cause profit-per-sub to go down.

Probably more total profit over all, but a reduced margin.

• @EssentialCoffee@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          811 months ago

They may have gotten more subs and with it more revenue, but aren’t they paying royalties on every stream?

No, that’s why writers and actors are striking.

• @NuPNuA@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          511 months ago

Do they pay royalties on each stream? Isn’t that what the strikes at the moment are about?

• @inclementimmigrant@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Oh no! Whatever will I do if they raise their prices and crack down on sharing as I sit here with a VPN and a 50TB NAS…

Can’t say it wasn’t a good run and I actually enjoyed the era of streaming where content was easy to get to at a fair price but as is the circle of life, these companies will always inevitably become the greedy monsters they sought to replace.

• @Seasoned_Greetings@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      1011 months ago

these companies will always inevitably become the greedy monsters they sought to replace

Netflix is the only service I can think of that fits that bill. The truth is, virtually every other major streaming service popped up already being greedy corporation’s that just wanted a piece of the pie. Divide, conquer, and raise prices was always the plan.

• @Telodzrum@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      811 months ago

Yeah 96TB and usenet access is my streaming service these days. The system has paid for itself when I consider all the subscription fees we’ve avoided because of it.

• @Gestrid@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        211 months ago

I’ve tried to get into Usenet before, but I couldn’t figure it out. Maybe I should try again.

• PP_GIRL_
          link
          fedilink
          111 months ago

It’s ridiculously simple, the only catch is the cost. But the increased download speeds more than makeup for it in my experience. Just do your research so you get a good client

• FlashMobOfOne
      link
      fedilink
      211 months ago

Yeah, I’m subscribed to two already.

That’s my limit and I’m not signing up for another one, especially at that price.

• @DulyNoted@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        411 months ago

I was once subscribed to four! I am now subscribed to one as the others kept fucking with me with these price raises and password sharing crackdowns.

I think more people just need to draw a line in the sand. These companies’ strategies are akin to slowly inching up the temperature of the water until you’re sitting in boiling water without realizing it.

It’s unfortunate that the average consumer seems to be about as aware as the lobster.

• @gila@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      2011 months ago

Quality won’t increase relative to official methods because it’s already more or less at parity with them. If the file you watch is tagged as a WEB-DL, in most cases it’s identical to the file you’d be streaming via official methods in terms of quality. It’s just remuxed into an open container format like .mkv (the video and audio streams are losslessly copied into a file format which can be shared)

• methodicalaspect
      link
      fedilink
      1711 months ago

Cheaper to buy a hat and eyepatch than it is to pay for all these streaming services…

• @crossover@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      511 months ago

Pirate rips of streaming content is already 100% quality. The files are literally the audio and video data repackaged into mkv files with no re-encoding. 4K Dolby Vision rips with atmos audio tracks are now common.

The only way the pirate copies will get better is if the streaming services start offering higher quality streams.

• @SuperSpruce@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    3711 months ago

And this is why we should’ve all cancelled Netflix when they began cracking down on password sharing. If we let them win, it’ll become normalized across the entire industry, like what is happening here.

• @maniajack@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      1611 months ago

I did, but yeah not enough others did. Yet when the spotify price went up and I kept it, because it’s one service that has everything. There’s a ton of value in me not having to hunt around and find every show I want to watch across 8 different shitty streaming apps.

• @SamsonSeinfelder@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        911 months ago

Hey, Spotify CEO here. What is your pain barrier for our product? 15$? 20? 30? Dont worry, we will get there. Just stay subscribed and the salami tactic will do its magic.

• @Shepy@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      711 months ago

Literally did this with netflix as soon as they announced and gave the lock on pass sharing as the reason… I have emby and some auto usenet downloaders so never hurt for content. I still have Disney as it was a 1 year free with partners phone upgrade but that will be cancelled once it’s chargeable.

• I’m dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It’s the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they’re going to do something incredibly … stupid.”

• @oxjox@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    3511 months ago

for the second time this year.

Yeah, that’s what I was wondering - didn’t they just do this? I cancelled my renewal when they raised it the first time and it doesn’t close out until November. It was $80 a year when I first signed up - it’s now more than double that!

For me, the content is not very compelling / worth $168 a year. Especially when it’s evident that they’re focusing more on cinema releases now than streaming shows. No love lost here.

These companies are still in the mode where they’re pushing out mediocre content and trying to make their money back on nostalgia and merchandising and “background-content”. They’re in competition with each other to get - and maintain - as much /consumer/ attention as possible. I don’t want to speak for everyone else but I think, as /audiences/, we just really want compelling stories that are well written and well acted. As consumers, we should all open our eyes a bit to what we’re actually paying for and stop blinding re-subbing to stuff that’s not really worth it.

You’re a dumpster fire right now, Hollywood. Get your shit together.

• prole
      link
      fedilink
      1611 months ago

You’re a dumpster fire right now, Hollywood. Get your shit together.

A good portion of them are currently picketing in an attempt to do that.

• skellener
    link
    fedilink
    3111 months ago

The real trick is just subscribe for a month, watch everything you want, then cancel. No more concurrent subscriptions. All you need is one when you want. Not all year.

• RBG
        link
        fedilink
        811 months ago

Yep, then you can watch anything you want any time you want. The secret ingredient is once again piracy.

• @frazw@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      111 months ago

Then they will introduce minimum contact lengths. I’m always surprised it wasn’t like that from the start actually.

• DBT
    link
    fedilink
    2311 months ago

Damn this reminded me that I have a Disney subscription that I don’t use anymore lmao. Thanks greedy pig fuck.