Testing the waters after jumping off the sinking ship of Reddit!

• Ali
    link
    English
    51 year ago

I’ve been wanting to get away from the big social media platforms for years now, but this is my first tangible step in that direction. Here’s to the future.

• @Dogburp
      link
      English
      31 year ago

I’m about 10 minutes out of the womb here. Just making a post to make a post if that’s ok. And Bam!

• ZeroBlade
    link
    English
    51 year ago

When we went dark on reddit I found out it’s practically the only platform we were on. Tried to go to nerfhaven, but they weren’t accepting new accounts so that was pretty useless. Let’s see if we can get off the ground here

• @FistfulOfBottlecaps
      link
      English
      21 year ago

Pretty much the same experience here, I joined a couple of nerf Facebook groups and even they were basically wastelands. Granted one of them was a page for a nearby local group so there’s probably organization and conversation outside of their Facebook page.

• @Beaver
      link
      English
      11 year ago

Nerfhaven gets pretty overwhelmed by spam account signups, which is why the mod team turned off new sign-ups and preserve it mainly as an archive. Lemmy probably has more modern anti-spam measures, so might be a more sustainable long-term solution

• @FrazzlusMaximus
      link
      English
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I thought I’d try posting my little bow blaster over on Nerfhaven to stoke interest, but then I found out it’s not accepting new members. So yeah, it’s basically a necropolis, mighty but dead.

• @Ti_0
    link
    English
    51 year ago

The UI is a bit different and will take some getting used to, but I love not relying on reddit.

• @Gyrosoft
      link
      English
      21 year ago

Me who used exclusively Old Reddit: “UI looks no different to me, I feel right at home.”

• @torukmakto4
        link
        English
        41 year ago

I like that it defaulted to light on black. Vote buttons moved, threading indents are shallower. Site seems a bit buggy and does not work on my usual redditing client.

• @AtomWorker
    link
    English
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I didn’t think Discord is a good alternative for what we had on Reddit, so I’m glad this community was created.

Hopefully, the JSON errors I keep seeing get fixed.

• jgrim of SublinksA
      link
      English
      31 year ago

A new release candidate is being tested to resolve some issues. Feel free to report anything to me. I’ll either fix it or get the open source community to resolve it. It’s been very active.

• @WhoKnowsWho2OPM
      link
      English
      21 year ago

I had a really hard time understanding how discord could be a functional replacement. It’s chat, and it’s endless and hard to track.

• @tw300
        link
        English
        11 year ago

There are forum post options on discord but it doesn’t get used all that much on servers

• K3CAN
    link
    fedilink
    English
    21 year ago

Still figuring out this fediverse thing, but I think I’m here.

• @Stevenwave
    link
    English
    11 year ago

Here out of curiosity.

Some discussion about the future of the sub would also be welcome.