• mazdak [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Nuclear weapons are as big a threat to human civilisation as climate change, albeit less stupid. But on a long enough timescale there will be a global nuclear war eventually. Consider how many close calls there have been in the last 70 years, with reasonably rational people and systems in charge. It only takes one mistake or one psychopath and civilisation is over, forever.

Whenever nuclear weapons are brought up, I can’t help think about how much Jeremy Corbyn was exorciated for refusing to state whether he would launch a retaliatory attack in the event of the UK being the target of a first strike. I.e. a hypothetical scenario where literally everyone there is going to die, would he launch Britains nukes in the minutes prior to certain annihilation, just to make sure the people sending them died as well. The outrage about his refusal to answer is a great example of Chud psychology/ideology.

• SeborrheicDermatitis [any]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

It’s not even that! On Question some Tory prick was lambasting him for saying he wouldn’t LAUNCH A FIRST STRIKE against Iran if they were POSSIBLY (not certainly) preparing a terrorist attack against the UK. Bloodthirsty. I’m pretty sure people have done some experiments and found out it’s way easier to get invited onto Question Time if you’re supportive of a right-wing or far-right party so you always end up with the most gammon-faced slaveowner-moustached (see top-left picture) Tory/UKIP bastards on it. The one in the middle is the person who got mad at Corbyn having a no first-strike policy (e.g., as China and India have, and as the USSR had until 1982 when Brezhnev, that old doddering fool, got rid of it).