Hello,

I’m reaching out because I am trying to get back into the world of Elite Dangerous VR, but I’m facing some major performance problems that are seriously putting a damper on my gameplay experience. It’s gotten to the point where even getting to the main menu takes around 5 minutes, and once in-game, I’m getting less than 1 frame per second – even when I’ve dialed down all the graphics settings to the lowest for VR.

I’m hoping some of you might have some insights into what could be causing these performance issues and maybe even offer some suggestions on how I could get back to enjoying the game in VR. Any advice or assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Additional Context:

• I’ve updated to the current version of Elite Dangerous: Horizons.
  • About 8 months ago, I was playing in VR on low settings and everything ran smoothly. So, this recent struggle is confusing.
  • I launch from the Epic Games Store.
  • I’m using an Oculus Quest 1 headset without a Meta account.
  • I use an Asus TUF Gaming A15 (Model: Asus TUF506) running on Windows 10.

Primary Suspects for the Issue:

1. Increased Game Requirements: It’s possible that the game’s requirements have shot up, surpassing what my computer can handle now.
  2. Meta Software Issues: Perhaps Meta’s software might be causing these problems as a sneaky way to push users into creating Meta accounts.
  3. Computer Performance Decline: Of course, it’s also plausible that my computer itself is facing issues that are impacting its performance, and it’s just not as fast as it used to be.

Once again, I’d really appreciate any insights or advice you fine folks might have. It’s a real bummer to be held back from exploring the galaxy in VR, and I’m hoping the community’s collective wisdom can help me sort out these technical challenges. Thanks a ton in advance!

• @forbiddenlake@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    510 months ago

When you last played, was it in Live or Legacy? The timeframe could be either.

The launcher now defaults to Horizons in the Odyssey engine aka Horizons Live, which has higher requirements. See if performance is as you remember it if you run Horizons Legacy.

Note that the Live and Legacy galaxies are separate since last November, and that changes in one no longer affect the other, and that 98% of third party tools don’t support Legacy. So, you may have a choice to make.

• @moaattOP
      link
      110 months ago

Thank you for the information. The last time I played I remember hearing that the choice would be upcoming however it wasn’t implemented before I took a break. Does Horizons Legacy still have the same(not increased) performance rquirements?

• @moaatt@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          110 months ago

Ok, I did try it out ad I still had issues. I think my computer may have picked up some thermal throttling issues which may be what is causing me to have issues running it in VR now. I would appreciate any advice on diagnosing/dealing with thermal issues.