homhom9000 [she/her]

• 2 Posts
  • 217 Comments
Joined 2 years ago
cake
Cake day: May 25th, 2022

help-circle

• I am an anxious person. There are people in my life, that I strongly care for, who are also anxious people. Yet there’s one specific type of anxious person I just don’t mesh with well.

For example, if they do more than 2 things at a time, they neglect important senses-> ex. if they’re trying to park while also on the phone, they’re unable to see other cars moving around the parking lot and almost cause an accident. Or, if they’re told they’ll be reached out to on a certain day, they reach out first on that day before the person can update-> ex. I say I’ll get back to you on the 10th and on the 10th at 8am you message for an update. Bonus: this person will message on other platforms, within the same day, to get an update.

These types of people stress me out because not only do I have to manage my own anxiety but I feel like I have to manage theirs as well.

Edit: and another example. They’ll task you with something but are too anxious to not know what’s happening every step of the way so they still pester you. Ex. They’ll let you lead the way with directions but ask every turn what the next step is and if you’re sure you know where you’re going.

• I read a review by Nathan Rabin that summed up my feelings properly

Joker: Folie à Deux is a comic book movie that is ashamed to be a comic book movie. It’s also a musical that’s ashamed to be a musical. Finally, it is a sequel that is ashamed to be a sequel because it knows just as much as we do that the only reason it exists is because the first one made a billion fucking dollars.

Full Review

• Look back (fujimoto from chainsaw man) was a good movie, I enjoyed it.

weeb ramblings

My only gripe is not technically related to the work but people who only interact with chainsaw man and action-shounen like anime see Look Back as some uniquely uncharted masterpiece. Composition wise, it’s mostly montages of the good ol’ days to slow and beautiful piano accompaniment(a complaint I’ve heard for Your Name(kimi no na wa)). I’m a sucker to this stuff, especially for coming of age stories, so no complaints there. But after sitting on the movie (and reading the one shot), I can’t help but think of cross game, another similar work but with baseball as the theme instead of manga. That’s to say, I’ve seen this before, and I love it every time.

What I’m getting at is, look back is a well done story using friendship, passion, and success to tackle grief and regret. If you don’t interact with the genre frequently, you’ll see an uncharted masterpiece. But if you do regularly consume the genre, you’ll see a well constructed story not too different than the rest(which is still okay).

Verdict: somewhere between 8.7-9.5/10