• @bsergay
    link
    71 month ago

I could probably summarize your experience as “skill issue”.

I don’t understand the hype of immutables, or usability even.

I suppose this article/blogpost by Lennart Poettering should suffice. Though, this article/blogpost by Colin Walters is also cool.

I tried Bazzite today after Nobara nuked itself, and I couldn’t even paste my old Firefox profile since the actual folder apparently sits within the immutable folder structure.

This is simply false as pointed out by others already.

I didn’t even have time to reach the software limitations with how fast I tried the next distro.

You will have a very hard time on Linux with that mindset. And, to be honest, literally any OS you aren’t already familiar with.

Still hopping though, because apparently Fedora just nukes itself when you try to install codecs

I wouldn’t be surprised if you just searched this through your favorite search engine and settled with whatever random solution you came across instead of relying upon RPM Fusion’s documentation on the matter.

and I think I have about every major distro tested by now.

While this could be true, I wonder what prevented you from sticking with any one of them.

Linux is cursed.

It’s definitely a lot harder if you’ve got major skill issues.

• DarkThoughts
      link
      fedilink
      -11 month ago

I could probably summarize your experience as “skill issue”.

Blaming users for a lack of proper UX is always the best excuse.

This is simply false as pointed out by others already.

Yet the only information I could find by other users of the distro. I even checked the official documentation, which contained 0 information on Firefox profiles. The FF profile manager only led to temporary folders and the absolute path led to an inexistent / invalid one (the one you’d expect them to go normally). So yes, I guess my skills are low, but so is the possibility for me to even learn anything when the only barely scrapped info I could find is wrong.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you just searched this through your favorite search engine and settled with whatever random solution you came across instead of relying upon RPM Fusion’s documentation on the matter.

No, that and the rpm fusion install page is quite literally exactly what I used. Then no applications would launch, no UI functions would work and after I hard reset the PC it wouldn’t show me anything but a broken welcome page, which, when closed, left me with a blank black screen and my mouse cursor. I’m not sure what else you would expect me to do when following seemingly official command guidelines. But I guess it’s still my fault after all.

While this could be true, I wonder what prevented you from sticking with any one of them.

Let’s see…

• Manjaro: Lots of criticism from others, ironically ran 2 years without major issues. But I wanted to switch to btrfs and EOS was hyped up to be a better version of a simple Arch installation.
      • EndeavourOS: An update nuked the bootloader after a few months. Could not figure out how to fix it since “guides” were using non encrypted devices as an example and were expecting user knowledge already. Tried asking for help in the official forums and got gaslit and insulted by users instead to the point where the mods had to close and hide the thread, suggesting I make a new one if I still need help. I decided it was better to leave that toxic cesspool & distro.
      • OpenSUSE: Installation failed to create partitions. When I eventually got past the issue and got it installed I could not switch resolution down to 1080p because it would just turn my screen into a stretched pancake mode. Could neither find a solution or any information as to why it cannot do something as basic as this, so moved on.
      • Nobara: Nuked its Plasma setup, leaving you with a blank screen and the broken crash reporter. Could not find any information anywhere on it so I tried using Timeshift via rescue terminal and it would just error out because it failed to mount boot partitions or whatever. Used a live usb environment and ran GUI Timeshift, mounted the snapshot partition and restored the last snapshot that way, seemingly without an error. But on a reboot it then became unbootable with even more errors about the partitions. Again, no matching threads I could find that would be able to help me.
      • Bazzite we already covered came after.
      • Fedora: Since many people said most of my issues come from using a fork of a private guy I was expecting major polish. But as already covered they don’t have an easy way to enable the most basic multimedia playback and their official how-to broke the system.

It’s definitely a lot harder if you’ve got major skill issues.

Especially since absolutely no one is willing to help and rather throws insults and personal attacks around when facing people who struggle with all the major bugs.

• @Samueru@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        21 month ago

Manjaro: Lots of criticism from others, ironically ran 2 years without major issues. But I wanted to switch to btrfs and EOS was hyped up to be a better version of a simple Arch installation.

I had a similar story, in fact EOS has a problem that they use dracut by default and is set to overwrite the kernel parameters every time you update the system lol.

I’m very sorry you had to deal with some users from here btw, specially the nixos people.

• DarkThoughts
          link
          fedilink
          01 month ago

And people thought Arch users were stupidly entitled and toxic. My favorite part right now is him trying to repeatedly berate me for not being able to read out the correct profile folder within Firefox (which shows the default .mozilla/firefox/), even though I already mentioned that it does not show the actually correct one (.var/app/org.mozilla.firefox/.mozilla/firefox/). I guess he has “skill issues”.

• @bsergay
        link
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Thank you for the elaborate answer! I appreciate it 😊. It’s also been instrumental to put your earlier statements into perspective. Incoming long comment…

Blaming users for a lack of proper UX is always the best excuse.

With all due respect, blaming UX doesn’t help your case 😅.

Bazzite, a SteamOS clone based on Fedora plus some extra sauce, comes very close to the best UX out there (on desktop Linux). If you choose to blame that instead of (primarily) looking at yourself, then I simply don’t know what to say.

Yet the only information I could find by other users of the distro.

Where? I want to see it. A quick search didn’t yield anything like that.

The issue you’ve faced is peculiar for a multitude of reasons:

• It implies you’re unaware that Firefox was installed as a flatpak and all of the implications that come with being a flatpak.
        • It implies that you lack the most basic knowledge on Flatpak, the primary package manager for GUI apps on Bazzite. That’s like not knowing apt/dnf/pacman on Arch/Debian/Fedora.
        • It (possibly) implies you were seemingly unaware that about:support contains information on where you may find the profile directory.
        • It (possibly) implies you were incapable of reading the correct location from about:support.
        • It (possibly) implies you failed to find the location read from about:support.
        • It implies you don’t know how immutability works on Bazzite. You don’t even know which directories are and aren’t read-only.

The three points that start with ‘(possibly)’ are especially curious, as they shouldn’t have happened in the first place IF you had read the simple instructions on Firefox Profilemaker; which you reference elsewhere. You can blame documentation all you want. But, honestly, I’m not confident you would even make proper use of it based on this awful track record.

I even checked the official documentation, which contained 0 information on Firefox profiles.

Why would it have to mention information on Firefox profiles? This is literally not even an issue. Even referring to it as a ‘you problem’ would be nice. Same applies to referring to this as ‘skill issue’. Which you actually took as offensive (or something), but it was actually just me being nice.

Documentation efforts should be spent on stuff that are otherwise literally undocumented. Firefox profiles works identical across the board. But you somehow failed at it and chose to blame immutability smh and called it quits based on (seemingly) a single user report that I’ve yet to see/find.

The FF profile manager only led to temporary folders and the absolute path led to an inexistent / invalid one (the one you’d expect them to go normally).

I simply fail to reproduce this. I’ve got no clue what you were doing. Consider making a video.

So yes, I guess my skills are low

I appreciate your honesty.

but so is the possibility for me to even learn anything when the only barely scrapped info I could find is wrong.

Like, I assume you went to the Firefox profile manager website, downloaded whatever config you ended up with and followed its instructions related to implementing it. When I do this, I just go over the folder as found on about:support, paste it there and done. Like, with all due respect, how did you fail at this? Sorry, I simply fail to understand. Again, consider recording this.

Furthermore, I implore you to link me to the misinformation you’ve found; I tried finding it on my own, but I simply failed.

No, that and the rpm fusion install page is quite literally exactly what I used.

Thank you for correcting my incorrect assumption. Though, I wonder; did you update your complete system before you applied the steps as found on RPM Fusion’s documentation? Knowing that you’ve been a user of Manjaro for two years, it only makes sense to assume you did. And, if that’s the case, then that’s an unfortunate bug and/or breakage that you’re not guilty of. Consider reporting it.

Then no applications would launch, no UI functions would work and after I hard reset the PC it wouldn’t show me anything but a broken welcome page, which, when closed, left me with a blank black screen and my mouse cursor.

All of this is unexpected behavior. Again, if you did nothing wrong, then this seems to be simply on Fedora. They aren’t saints, so they can definitely miss the mark. Though, I can’t recall anyone else experiencing this due to legit reasons. However, I am aware there’s a first to everything.

I’m not sure what else you would expect me to do when following seemingly official command guidelines. But I guess it’s still my fault after all.

Again, if you updated your system after installation, then did a reboot (perhaps more than one). And finally followed the steps as per RPM Fusion’s documentation. Then I simply fail to see what you would have done wrong.

Regarding the distros you’ve tried and your experiences with them, I would like to note the following:

• Thanks for mentioning Manjaro! I’ve actually been an avid opponent to its usage. However, so far, I wasn’t aware of anyone that had great experiences on it while they had tried a lot of interesting alternatives. Your experience actually successfully portrays a use case in which it seems to offer a superior experience. I suppose your only ‘sin’ would be to seek another distro while it was doing a pretty good job. Though, I’d have to commend you on your curiosity.
        • Your experience with EndeavourOS’ community is pretty different from how I recall it. They seemed to be very friendly overall. However, I can’t simply dismiss your experience. And while the shittiness of a distro’s community is not the best reason IMO to forego its use, I do respect your choice.
        • Your experience with openSUSE seems like some strange bug. Again, I can’t simply dismiss it, but it’s definitely unfortunate.
        • With Nobara, yet another pretty freaky breakage. Truth be told; I actually think that breakages as such are unfortunately inevitable. Most distros (especially those that run on the traditional Linux model) are on some timer that will inevitably amount to that.
        • Your issue on Bazzite was NOT breakage. Hence, if anything, it deserves a return more than the others do. Furthermore, by now, it should have been clear as day that your issue is actually not even an issue to begin with.
        • Breaking yet another distro, this time Fedora, is definitely an accomplishment. At this point, while the possibility definitely exists that there’s 0% blame on you; which is actually further supported by the fact that Manjaro lasted pretty long, it’s still very very peculiar.

Don’t get me wrong. I’ve crapped my pants with Arch, EndeavourOS and Nobara. So, I very much understand that (semi-)rolling distros are far from perfect and can definitely break at seemingly random times. But, I choose to blame myself:

• I was not very experienced.
        • I didn’t know best practices related to system management.
        • I had no clue what I was doing whenever I was troubleshooting issues.
        • I was a newb that didn’t spend enough time reading up on documentation.

And, if you choose to equate/define or refer to all of the above as “lack of proper UX”, then I got a surprise for you… There are distros to which the above does not apply. So…, why do you choose to stick to distros that are known to be less trouble-free?

Based on the above, a very curious observation would be that you somehow seem to attract problems that are otherwise observed a lot more rarely. At that point, I’m inclined to think that either you or the hardware is the main culprit. I wouldn’t blame the software that seems to be working for everyone else. But, that’s just me.

Another curious observation would be that you (seemingly) have not tried anything based on Debian (and/or Ubuntu). Are you perhaps biased towards it? Or, are you simply aware that your hardware is too new for it (which I doubt unless you’ve continually changed to newer hardware in the past two years)? Or, you simply consciously choose to use ‘more current’ distros for whatever (perhaps legit) reason. Please feel free to inform us on this.

Especially since absolutely no one is willing to help and rather throws insults and personal attacks around when facing people who struggle with all the major bugs.

So, in my experience, the community has been lovely at large. Sure, it ain’t perfect, but what even is. Therefore, I’m sorry to hear that your experience has been different. Though, again, it might be the community reacting to someone they perceive as misinformed OR not diligent on making it work OR not being helpful towards those offering help.

Furthermore, I’ve actually not found any post of yours in hopes of resolving any of these issues. Perhaps you chose to ask individual users in comments instead, but your track record on Lemmy doesn’t portray you as someone that’s diligent on solving the problem. For example, regarding Bazzite, if you had just joined their Discord and asked your question there, then they would have solved the issue for you that very moment and you wouldn’t have made a joke out of yourself.

Though, I understand you might have lost interest to engage with communities like that based on some past experiences (e.g. with EndeavourOS’ community as you had already pointed out). FWIW, a single bad experience shouldn’t have deterred you from ever (re)commencing and/or (re-)engaging.

Regardless, again, thanks for your elaborate answer. At this point, it genuinely makes most sense to me if you choose to give Bazzite another go if you’re willing to stick to distros with (at least relatively) up to date packages. If not, then consider trying something based on Debian (and/or Ubuntu) for once. Perhaps it’s the one thing you actually needed. Or, simply return back to Manjaro if it most successfully managed to satisfy your needs without putting you into too much trouble.

• DarkThoughts
          link
          fedilink
          11 month ago

Bazzite, a SteamOS clone based on Fedora plus some extra sauce, comes very close to the best UX out there (on desktop Linux). If you choose to blame that instead of (primarily) looking at yourself, then I simply don’t know what to say.

If installing shit is 50 times more inconvenient & more or a hassle compared to pretty much any other distro I have ever used, then that’s clearly not the case.

Where? I want to see it. A quick search didn’t yield anything like that.

Some Reddit comment. Dunno which submission as I can’t seem to install even Mullvad on it, so I can’t hop DNS servers so I can’t circumvent Reddit’s VPN block to even bother looking for it again. But it’s definitely not a UX issue!

It implies you're unaware that Firefox was installed as a flatpak and all of the implications that come with being a flatpak.
          It implies that you lack the most basic knowledge on Flatpak, the primary package manager for GUI apps on Bazzite. That's like not knowing apt/dnf/pacman on Arch/Debian/Fedora.
          It (possibly) implies you were seemingly unaware that about:support contains information on where you may find the profile directory.
          It (possibly) implies you were incapable of reading the correct location from about:support.
          It (possibly) implies you failed to find the location read from about:support.
          It implies you don't know how immutability works on Bazzite. You don't even know which directories are and aren't read-only.

• Okay, and?
          • Again: And? There’s 0 documentation provided on where to find what I was looking for, so how would I know anything?
          • Neither about:support nor about:profiles show the correct profile folders. They show they path to where the profile folders would be NORMALLY (.mozilla/firefox/), but that is not the correct one as it contains just two empty folders and ignores any profile folders put into it. The actual folder, which again, is listed nowhere, including your suggested about page, is: “.var/app/org.mozilla.firefox/.mozilla/firefox/” Since you didn’t know that I guess that implies that you have a major skill issue?
          • Afaik everything within the root tree is read only, leaving you with only your home partition. That’s how people explained it. If you want to blame me for spreading that knowledge, go ahead. But it is people like you who clearly spread disinformation, as I have just proven.

I’m not gonna read the rest of your text wall since your entitlement & insults just show the clownery that is your person after you clearly failed to even acknowledge the correct profile folder while trying to berate me. So, take up your own advise and work on your SKILL ISSUES.

• @bsergay
            link
            edit-2
            1 month ago

lol, the full answer I had written somehow was ripped to pieces. I’ll therefore keep it brief.

• Thank you for the reply!
            • Apologies for making you wait so long for an answer! Thank you for your patience!
            • Thank you for correcting me when I had wrongfully suggested that it’s found in about:support while it’s found (as seen below) in about:profiles instead. I know it’s found in Firefox, I (just) messed up the exact spot. Therefore, thank you for countering misinformation!

• You’ve mentioned stuff that require to be addressed and corrected, but I’ll leave it at this. You should read documentation and don’t take people’s words anyways.
            • DarkThoughts
              link
              fedilink
              11 month ago

Thank you for correcting me when I had wrongfully suggested that it’s found in about:support while it’s found (as seen below) in about:profiles instead. I know it’s found in Firefox, I (just) messed up the exact spot. Therefore, thank you for countering misinformation!

It was not found in either page, as I already explained. Maybe they’ve fixed it by now but at the time of my comment the page led to the mentioned empty standard folder path you’d expect on a regular installation.

• @bsergay
                link
                129 days ago

Maybe they’ve fixed it by now but at the time of my comment the page led to the mentioned empty standard folder path you’d expect on a regular installation.

Alright, so through the flathub remote-info --log flathub org.mozilla.firefox command, we can view which commit was active at that moment.

Command yields:

Firefox - Fast, Private & Safe Web Browser

ID: org.mozilla.firefox
                Ref: app/org.mozilla.firefox/x86_64/stable
                Arch: x86_64
                Branch: stable
                Version: 129.0
                License: MPL-2.0
                Collection: org.flathub.Stable
                Download: 98.6 MB
                Installed: 259.6 MB
                Runtime: org.freedesktop.Platform/x86_64/23.08
                Sdk: org.freedesktop.Sdk/x86_64/23.08

Commit: 57fc35d29f0ee4915ebd903e2b9ce5497972c175cf0a6950153ec91d6f1b3e33
                Parent: 6a16f6a509340ad3bb833c9d9aa794ed78910aa43803a7420438b880aa0a6ce0
                Subject: Export org.mozilla.firefox
                Date: 2024-08-06 12:45:05 +0000
                History: 

Commit: 6a16f6a509340ad3bb833c9d9aa794ed78910aa43803a7420438b880aa0a6ce0
                Date: 2024-07-26 13:29:41 +0000

Commit: 5b92a5aa533a8f68fe1d73f3910392018c4d4bb9f4370ee0577384e101999ce8
                Date: 2024-07-23 14:34:25 +0000

So, at the time of your comment, commit 6a16f6a509340ad3bb833c9d9aa794ed78910aa43803a7420438b880aa0a6ce0 was active and deployed on your system. Let’s find out what downgrading to this commit yields.

Downgrading through sudo flatpak update --commit=6a16f6a509340ad3bb833c9d9aa794ed78910aa43803a7420438b880aa0a6ce0 org.mozilla.firefox, after which the about:profiles page is opened on this downgraded Firefox yields:

The beautiful part is that, as Flatpak is containerized anyways, anyone can downgrade to the earlier commit and it yields the exact same result. So, please feel free to verify this for yourself.

So, as a result, if the logic and the appliance is sound, then this showcases that your claim is either still true and portrays an anomaly -which I would deem as highly unlikely- or it’s simply false and you were just mistaken.

Finally, if I’ve messed up at any of the steps, then please feel free to correct me.

• DarkThoughts
                  link
                  fedilink
                  129 days ago

My guy, I don’t need to verify anything. I know what I saw. I literally clicked the open directory button too which just would lead me to the standard profile directory too. There’s 100% no mistaking it, as I have done this process countless of times over the past couple decades. Maybe it is the same weird way that the audio applet in the sys tray did not work at first and didn’t show any devices or apps, and how the audio system settings didn’t default properly for some games to the correct audio device - until they did some days later. If they had something like virtualbox in the repos I would’ve maybe installed the image I have on my usb stick again in a VM, but I’m not gonna through the process of wiping my installation again just to prove a point to some random rude asshole.

• @bsergay
                    link
                    128 days ago

Aight, so you didn’t like my methodology. That’s fine; I’ve got no qualms with putting in the work. So, if you allow me, I would like to propose the following:

• Option 1. Somehow grant me access to the exact image you used. This could be done in multiple ways:
                      • Either, just send me the link from which you downloaded it yourself.
                      • Or, send it over to me through whichever file sharing/hosting solution you enjoy.
                    • Option 2. Getting VirtualBox to work on Bazzite is most likely a huge pain in the ass. Therefore, if it’s fine with you, I could help you install virt-manager (if you even need any help with that). Furthermore, FWIW, it’s worth noting that (GNOME) Boxes should work as well. It’s relatively simple, though. Thankfully, at least installing it is as easy as flatpak install org.gnome.Boxes*.