After several years distro hopping from Manjaro, Garuda, Linux Mint, Ubuntu, EndeavourOS, Fedora Workstation & OpenSUSE, I got tired & want to settle into something like immutable OS then i interested to try Fedora Kinoite with KDE as DE.
Now i have some questions about toolbox (sorry if i asked silly question, but I’m still newbie) :

• Now i already setup my container & install some packages in it but the shortcut is missing from application launcher (a.k.a start menu), how i can link the shortcut from package inside toolbox to host application launcher ?
  • If i made a file (ex text file) from inside container will it show in Home directory ?
  • If something crashed inside container will it also crashed my host system ?
  • Why some packages doesn’t work inside container like Wine, Lutris, or Bottles ? Does it’s need special dependencies to make it work ?
  • Can packages that modifying system (ex green tunnel, vmware, or QEMU, & hblock ) work fine ?
  • @bsergay
    link
    English
    327 days ago

Currently I got no time to go over this in more length. So apologies*. However, I still want to offer/provide a brief and concise answer. I will (hopefully tomorrow) return at this in more length.

Now i already setup my container & install some packages in it but the shortcut is missing from application launcher (a.k.a start menu), how i can link the shortcut from package inside toolbox to host application launcher ?

Short answer is that Toolbx for a long time (and perhaps still) didn’t really support this feature. Sure, you could make it work, but it was a bit hacky. If this is a concern of yours, consider switching over to Distrobox. With distrobox, it’s as easy as (while inside the container) distrobox-export --app <name app>. I will return at this tomorrow with the Toolbx way to do the same. I will also explore how Distrobox fares compared to Toolbx etc.

If i made a file (ex text file) from inside container will it show in Home directory ?

Yes if you’ve saved it in the Home directory to begin with.

If something crashed inside container will it also crashed my host system ?

Nope.

Why some packages doesn’t work inside container like Wine, Lutris, or Bottles ?

Interesting. I don’t recall ever experiencing problems with either Wine or Lutris inside a Toolbx/Distrobox container. I’m also confident that Bottles should work.

Does it’s need special dependencies to make it work ?

This is definitely something that might be at play. Consider reporting the terminal output whenever you try to work with Wine, Lutris and Bottles.

Furthermore, expect some containerized solutions tomorrow for these 😉.

Can packages that modifying system (ex green tunnel, vmware, or QEMU, & hblock ) work fine ?

I’m not familiar with all of them. Though, you may expect troubles. I do recall I had to resort to rpm-ostree in order to make QEMU work. However, it’s a fast moving space, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Toolbx/Distrobox-based solutions exist for this. For example, since relatively recently, it has been possible to have a functioning Waydroid within Distrobox. I will also more exhaustively go over this matter tomorrow.

• @devilish666@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      126 days ago

Thank you, I’ll apply your recommendation right away
      I almost losing my mind to config toolbox, maybe because it’s my first time to used immutable OS
      If i look around it seems toolbox is podman but without steroid , maybe i should learn podman to understand it further