• MentalEdge
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Is it?

I once told a teacher I’d write ten times the number of required words as long as I could pick a subject that actually warranted it. And I followed through.

The rare times I got prompts that were actually good, I would run out of paper on which to express everything I wanted expressed. (Yes, I’ve done writing assignments writing by hand.)

Outside academia no-one is enforcing a word-count. Which means you can just write good prose. Using a lot of words to say very little, is not good prose.

Unless you’re dealing with people that don’t actually read what you write and instead just look at net weight of the word-salad you threw at them, the content of the text is what matters.

Who takes offence at only a single paragraph, if it addresses their every concern and insecurity, and they are left feeling seen as they reach the final word?

Only people who don’t actually read things, or have no reading comprehension, needing the same thing said three time in different ways in one message.

• @conciselyverbose@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      11 month ago

It’s the same philosophy, yeah. That more words means more substance and more “respect” or whatever to the message.

It’s not rational at all, but people genuinely don’t think that way. (Unless it’s a forum/social media, then 3 paragraphs is a wall of text that needs to have a 5 word TLDR, because none of it is rational).

The exaggerated version of a simple message once you have a working relationship is silly, but there are way too many times you don’t get to a working relationship at all without a wall of bullshit.

• MentalEdge
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Ok, but do the people you’re referring to actually appreciate prose, or just skim-read through everything?

Because I’d wager they’re the latter, and at that point you don’t even need to try to write something good. It’s fine to send them three paragraphs where the second and third ones just paraphrase the first.

• @conciselyverbose@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          01 month ago

Paraphrasing the first multiple times is still a big, distracting extra cognitive load, and it needs to hold up if they actually do pay attention to it. One time they notice the obvious bullshit can end a relationship. I won’t use an LLM for anything like this because it’s stupid, but that’s why people are doing it.

• MentalEdge
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            1 month ago

You’re saying once they see the pointless fluff they themselves ask of people, for what it is, they’ll feel insulted?

Paraphrasing yourself comes with built-in deniability. “Oh it’s just something I tend to do, I don’t mean anything by it, I can make an effort to stop if you like”. And then boom, you get to be concise.

There is no way of bloating your prose that doesn’t come off as insulting when done with people who don’t appreciate volume over quality.