tweet link

If Beyond the Spider-Verse was hitting theaters next summer, we would’ve heard about it by now, as Sony would’ve assigned it a release date.

2026 seems perfectly doable, but I’m told that it would be extremely unlikely that Sony would want to release an animated Spider-Man movie and a live-action Spider-Man movie in the same calendar year, as the studio is better off staggering those two franchises.

So not only is 2027 more likely for that reason alone, but over Labor Day Weekend, I heard that Sony scrapped most of Beyond the Spider-Verse for creative reasons, and because of that decision, the movie would be unlikely to debut before 2027 given the detailed animation it requires.

While the Beyond the Spider-Verse team was taken aback by the change in direction, I’m told they’re relieved to have more time to work on the sequel, as it’s important to all involved that they stick the landing on this Oscar-winning franchise.

i wouldnt fully blame sony for this if you remember that the directors had the worst working conditions

Spider-Verse Artists Say Working on the Sequel Was “Death by a Thousand Paper Cuts”

• ChestRockwell [comrade/them, any]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    10 days ago

So when I was younger, I saw matrix reloaded and had my mind blown, so excited for revolutions because of the cliffhanger.

Then the third movie didn’t deliver.

And I realized that ending on cliffhangers like that not only so rarely pays off (infinity war might have been the only one recently), it often colors your feelings/opinions of the incompleteb(but otherwise fun movie)

You can’t say reloaded is a great movie because it defers so much resolution, but there’s so much cool stuff (the car chase is a 11/10, the fight in the chateau is sick, lots of cool shit throughout).

• Grandpa_garbagio [he/him]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      9 days ago

It works with already storylined stuff like novel adaptations, because books are meant for that and it’s generally one person with a vision. But if it’s purely cinema, there’s so many moving parts and people involved that will switch out between the two movies that it is much harder to properly have a tonally correct followup

• @Vent@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      39 days ago

The thing is, Infinity War felt like a complete film. They could have just stopped there since the ending was satisfying enough on its own.

In contrast, Spiderverse’s “ending” was just an abrupt roll-credits in the middle of the movie. It doesn’t feel anywhere close to a complete film on its own. It’s more like if someone was talking and

• ChestRockwell [comrade/them, any]
        link
        fedilink
        English
        29 days ago

everyone wants to be empire but forgets everything in empire gives the viewer a sense of closure and longing, even as there are plot threads left unresolved, the story of empire is resolved.