• @Swedneck@discuss.tchncs.de
    link
    fedilink
    213 days ago

all computers should be like the one in star trek TNG, for simple feedback it just beeps and bloops in ways that are intuitive, and if it actually needs to use speech to relay detailed information it does so in a short and efficient message delivered in a clearly roboticly neutral yet pleasant voice.

• @MoogleMaestro@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      83 days ago

speech to relay detailed information it does so in a short and efficient message

So the antithesis of modern capitalist mindset of cheap devices that are designed solely to advertise?

Yeah, IDK if that’s ever going to happen unless we achieve Star Trek levels of societal restructuring.

• @Swedneck@discuss.tchncs.de
        link
        fedilink
        22 days ago

you can run linux as a completely fine desktop OS right now, and there are several open source assistant projects, then there’s stuff like mozilla’s deep voice for recognizing voice input and you can totally train a voice synthesizing model on people who willingly donate their voices.

It’s not really that far out, it just needs a handfull of people who want to see it done and have some spare time they’re willing to occupy with development.

• @grue@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          22 days ago

and you can totally train a voice synthesizing model on people who willingly donate their voices.

I’ll be honest: it isn’t very copyleft of me, but I want literally Majel Barrett.