• @Gnugit@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    1675 days ago

If someone is deaf from birth and gains hearing from implants later in life, you whisper in their ear and they can’t see your lips they won’t understand because they have never heard the audio before. Is this correct?

• edric
      link
      fedilink
      975 days ago

Yeah. Unless she is only partially deaf or had hearing before and lost it, she won’t understand him.

• AItoothbrush
      link
      fedilink
      English
      175 days ago

In the beggining he said after a while she noticed or something like that so it means she had partial hearing loss.

• @AccountMaker@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        115 days ago

I figured that she noticed him visually, a shadow was cast or she saw movement. Anon also said that she heard her mom “for the first time” when she got the implant.

Taking all this into account, while the greentext seems to have avoided the first label of homosexuality, the verity of the story nevertheless has to be put into question.

• @frazw@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      25 days ago

How could you possibly know what a visual representation of a sound sounds like if you’ve never had the relationship between the two pointed out to you??

• @frazw@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          14 days ago

Reading lips is a visual representation of a sound. A teacher teaching you to read lips is only the relationship between two visual representations. Written word and moving lips. I think my point stands.

• @SkunkWorkz@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            4 days ago

Yeah I misread your comment I thought you didn’t understand how a deaf person could learn to read lips, but you were talking about the relationship between sound and lips. Hence why I deleted it immediately. Not sure why you could’ve still replied.

• @frazw@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              14 days ago

Ah didn’t realise you deleted it. It was in my inbox in sync and I replied directly there.

• @theneverfox@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      14 days ago

If your whispered in their ear, then yes, if you’ve never heard English you can’t understand it

I didn’t see that in the post - lip reading would still that gap nicely, as would signing and speaking at The same time