cross-posted from: https://discuss.tchncs.de/post/22423685

EDIT: For those who are too lazy to click the link, this is what it says

Hello,

Sad news for everyone. YouTube/Google has patched the latest workaround that we had in order to restore the video playback functionality.

Right now we have no other solutions/fixes. You may be able to get Invidious working on residential IP addresses (like at home) but on datacenter IP addresses Invidious won’t work anymore.

If you are interested to install Invidious at home, we remind you that we have a guide for that here: https://docs.invidious.io/installation/..

This is not the death of this project. We will still try to find new solutions, but this might take time, months probably.

I have updated the public instance list in order to reflect on the working public instances: https://instances.invidious.io. Please don’t abuse them since the number is really low.

Feel free to discuss this politely on Matrix or IRC.

• @TheDarksteel94@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    133 hours ago

The problem is, there’s just no (good) direct competition. The audience will follow creators once enough of them switch to the same alternative platform. But as long as there’s no platform with a comparable amount of money behind it, most people will continue to use Youtube.

• @sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      2 hours ago

Eh, there are some competitors:

• Nebula - costs $5/month; can get a discount if you find a creator’s discount code (I used NotJustBikes, can check out LegalEagle, HalfAsinteresting, or any of the others if you want; I got 50% off a year sub)
      • Odyssee - pretty much the OG alternative to YT - I follow a few there
      • Rumble - much better funded, but caters to conservatives and far-right, but there are some more moderate videos there (I like Glenn Greenwald, except for anything related to Russia); I think it’s funny that it has been blocked by some countries for allowing pro-Russian content, while also being blocked by Russia (this year) for not removing content

I sub to some channels from each (as well as Twitch and YT) though Grayjay, which seems to work pretty well. I’d say about 50% of my video watch time is on YouTube, 15-20% on Odyssee, 20-30% on Nebula, and a little on Rumble. I try to watch Nebula videos on the Nebula app so creators get credited with watch time, but I honestly prefer Grayjay.

I’ve been trying to cut down on how much I watch anyway, so hopefully I’ll be able to slowly eliminate YT from my life.

• Daemon Silverstein
        link
        fedilink
        English
        220 minutes ago

Rumble - […] I think it’s funny that it has been blocked by some countries

Rumble is blocked here in Brazil, not because Brazil blocked it (although there was once a strife between Rumble and Brazilian Supreme Court due to a half dozen far-right influencers) , but because Rumble themselves blocked us.

• @Soup@lemmy.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      2 hours ago

There doesn’t need to be direct competition. Just stop watching YouTube. If someone cannot do that- they have an addiction, and ads are not their biggest problem.