• @SatyrSack@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    -278 hours ago

Game changing updates like this every so often that make you feel like it is an unfinished game still in early access. You may as well just wait until it is finished to actually start playing.

• rigatti
      link
      fedilink
      English
      258 hours ago

Calling Stardew unfinished is hilarious.

• rigatti
          link
          fedilink
          English
          22 hours ago

I would call it a complete game that was finished a long time ago but has a passionate developer who provides free content updates. It’s definitely not a live service game, as there are no microtransactions and the updates are free.

• ElectricMachman
          link
          fedilink
          English
          227 hours ago

A video game that happens to get big updates every so often…? Call 'em expansion packs if that makes life easier

• @TommySoda@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      188 hours ago

Bro, the man’s basically releasing free dlc not updating an early access game. The game was never in early access and all your saves are compatible with the new expansions (I sometimes still play the same farm I’ve had since the game was first released). The game already has more content than any other game in the genre and ConcernedApe is still releasing all updates for free and promised to never charge for anything new added to the game. What is there to complain about when you’re getting free shit where in most games it costs $5 to $10?

• @SatyrSack@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        -98 hours ago

My issue with Stardew Valley content updates is that they change how the game works. It is not just adding extra postgame missions or something. The content updates tend to fundamentally change how some things work. Your possible/preferred routes to reach endgame today are much different than they were in 2016. It makes it feel like perpetual Early Access.

• @TommySoda@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          77 hours ago

I don’t know what game you’re playing because I’ve never run into this issue before. I’ve played through year 4 on several different farms and never encountered anything of this magnitude. I’ve been playing this game since day one and have had nothing but positive experiences and so has pretty much everyone else. If minor adjustments to gameplay are enough to classify a game as being in perpetual Early Access, then every single game that is being made today is in perpetual Early Access. In fact in most games you don’t even get the new content with the updates. Also, the game costs $20 it’s not like you’re spending over $100 for the Premium Deluxe Edition Game of the Year Season Pass Preorder Bundle. It’s $20 and goes on sale so frequently you could pick it up for $5 four or five times a year.

• @SatyrSack@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            6 hours ago

As an illustration, grab an endgame save from 1.0 and open it up in a modern version of the game. The moment you step out of the door, you will be greeted with a series of cutscenes/dialogs explaining several of the various game mechanics that were added in the versions since 1.0. These are game mechanics that, if they had been part of the game from the start, would have greatly altered how one would have chosen to play and reach endgame. One may have prioritized different crops, events, upgrades, relationships, decorations, etc.

Stardew Valley is absolutely worth the money, and the content updates definitely make it even more of a bargain. But calling the transition from 1.0 to 1.6+ “minor adjustments to gameplay” is disingenuous.

I just miss the days when games were already finished upon release.

• Tarquinn2049
      link
      fedilink
      English
      27 hours ago

Would you say to not play World of Warcraft until it is “finished”? It has huge game changing updates all the time.

• @SatyrSack@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        16 hours ago

“Games as a service” are by design never really finished, right? If you are cool with that, go for it. I have never personally tried one.