• @wjrii@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    21 hours ago

If he’s not looking to change the layout or aesthetic, maybe a Razer BlackWidow v4 or a Logitech G815 or Corsair K100. Or he could go cheaper and move the macro keys to the very top with a Redragon K580, though I’d buy from someplace with easy returns for them.

I gotta admit though, gamer stuff that adds extra greeblies and ugly little microswitch buttons are not my jam. On the other hand a basic floating switches low profile “case” gets too much hate. Not everything needs to be a giant slab of machined aluminum. Ultimately, a column of macro-keys on the left is just not super common in the hobbyist space (though there are options, as you know), even less so when a board is already 100% width, though you could go full-bonkers and recommend him a buckling spring monster.

• @infinitevalenceOP
      link
      English
      121 hours ago

Im not sure i want to recommend something with OEM software and soldered switches because then he is right back to the same situation

• @wjrii@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        120 hours ago

Yeah, just a tough ask all around, though hotswap at least is moving into the gamer space.

Monsgeek M5 has 108 keys, so you’ve got an extra four to play with, but you’ll probably find the best QMK fit somewhere in that batch of Keychrons.