• @calabast@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    8 hours ago

We definitely are seeing things faster than 24 Hz, or we wouldn’t be able to tell a difference in refresh rates above that.

Edit: I don’t think we have a digital, on-off refresh rate of our vision, so fps doesn’t exactly apply. Our brain does turn the ongoing stream of sensory data from our eyes into our vision “video”, but compared to digital screen refresh rates, we can definitely tell a difference between 24 and say 60 fps.

• @Steve@communick.news
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      7 hours ago

People looking at a strobing light, start to see it as just “on” (not blinking anymore) at almost exactly 60Hz.
      In double blind tests, pro gamers can’t reliably tell 90fps from 120.
      There is however, an unconscious improvement to reaction time, all the way up to 240fps. Maybe faster.

• It seems to be more complicated than that

However, when the modulated light source contains a spatial high frequency edge, all viewers saw flicker artifacts over 200 Hz and several viewers reported visibility of flicker artifacts at over 800 Hz. For the median viewer, flicker artifacts disappear only over 500 Hz, many times the commonly reported flicker fusion rate.

• @seaQueue@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        106 hours ago

The real benefit of super high refresh rates is the decrease in latency for input. At lower rates the lag between input and the next frame is extremely apparent, above about ~144hz it’s much less noticable.

The other side effect of running at high fps is that when heavy processing occurs and there are frame time lags they’re much less noticable because the minimum fps is still very high. I usually tell people not to pay attention to the maximum fps rather look at the average and min.

• @TachyonTele@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      178 hours ago

Yeah it’s not like frames from a projector. It’s a stream. But the brain skips parts that haven’t changed.

• Ekky
      link
      fedilink
      67 hours ago

I think i read that fighter pilots need to be able to identify a plane in one frame at 300 fps, and that the theoretical limit of the eye is 1000+ fps.

Though, whether the brain can manage to process the data at 1000+ fps is questionable.