• Flying Squid
    link
    fedilink
    English
    3311 hours ago

Do not confuse a poor education with a lack of intelligence. This is because the American educational system is broken. It says nothing about the average American’s intelligence.

• @delirious_owl
      link
      English
      66 hours ago

Is not “we have most if the world’s wealth, we’re aware that 25% of our populationvm can’t find the biggest ocean in the world in a map, and we also won’t allocate funds to schools to fix this” a sign of low intelligence?

• Flying Squid
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        4 hours ago

No, it’s a sign of greedy people wanting to keep a population ignorant.

Ignorance is not the same as unintelligence. To use the example I gave elsewhere, an indigenous Amazonian couldn’t find the Pacific Ocean on a map either. That doesn’t mean they’re stupid, and they’re far more likely to survive long-term in the Amazon than people the West regard as geniuses.

• @delirious_owl
          link
          English
          edit-2
          4 hours ago

Yes. We cannot measure intelligence. We can only measure culturally-relevant knowledge

Generally, its in the interest of a country to have knowledgeable people. Its an investment that pays back well in $$$

Qualitatively, I argue that a country that doesn’t allocate funds to make their population knowledgeable is not an intelligent country, regardless od what knowledge they try to teach (be it the three sisters or geography or mathematics or whatever)

• Flying Squid
            link
            fedilink
            English
            24 hours ago

I agree. Hence my comment about the American educational system being broken. It hasn’t been invested in for a long time.

But that doesn’t mean that Americans are, on average, less intelligent. It means that the system failed them.

• @delirious_owl
              link
              English
              21 hour ago

OK, so I guess you’d agree that the people who control the US government are either unintelligent or very bad at their joba

• Flying Squid
                link
                fedilink
                English
                21 hour ago

As I said above:

No, it’s a sign of greedy people wanting to keep a population ignorant.

An ignorant population is a compliant population. That’s why so many other nations have ruined their education system and replaced it with propaganda.

• @delirious_owl
                  link
                  English
                  edit-2
                  1 hour ago

That sounds like a conspiracy theory. Governments aren’t controlled by a few people, they’re controlled by many rich people who all want to stab each other in the back to make an extra dime.

Some of them may be crazy trying to destroy the education of the populous, but certainly others in power want an educated populace.

• @delirious_owl
      link
      English
      16 hours ago

True. Unfortunately, we don’t have a way to measure intelligence that isn’t inherently racist.