cross-posted from: https://lemmy.ml/post/2811405

"We view this moment of hype around generative AI as dangerous. There is a pack mentality in rushing to invest in these tools, while overlooking the fact that they threaten workers and impact consumers by creating lesser quality products and allowing more erroneous outputs. For example, earlier this year America’s National Eating Disorders Association fired helpline workers and attempted to replace them with a chatbot. The bot was then shut down after its responses actively encouraged disordered eating behaviors. "

• FaceDeer
    link
    fedilink
    311 months ago

“The technology is currently flawed. Therefore we should not invest resources in making it better.” Odd approach.

Frankly, even if the “quality” is poor, the quantity is actually a significant boon. I can have content that actually caters to my interests rather than just whatever the big studios decide I’m going to get to pick from. I can make it myself, if I want. Even with the relatively crude tools we already have.

For example, I do game-mastering for TTRPGs, and ChatGPT and Stable Diffusion have vastly improved the quality and quantity of material I’m able to present to my players. I can lavishly illustrate my adventures. The images aren’t as good as a professional artist would make, but given that I would never have hired a professional artist in the first place and even if I did they wouldn’t have been able to churn those images out in time for tomorrow’s session, that’s still a huge improvement.