cross-posted from: https://lemmy.ml/post/2811405

"We view this moment of hype around generative AI as dangerous. There is a pack mentality in rushing to invest in these tools, while overlooking the fact that they threaten workers and impact consumers by creating lesser quality products and allowing more erroneous outputs. For example, earlier this year America’s National Eating Disorders Association fired helpline workers and attempted to replace them with a chatbot. The bot was then shut down after its responses actively encouraged disordered eating behaviors. "

• @MasterBlaster@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    311 months ago

Actually, that’s not true. Quality of product and communist countries is generally low because there is no incentive to do quality work.

• @sjm@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      311 months ago

ah, that must be why hundreds of people have contributed to one of the most popular and highest quality operating systems for free over the last few decades.

the profit incentive is not the only motive to do quality work, and i think there’s plenty of examples that it’s not even the best incentive.

I crochet for a hobby so I can make gifts for my friends and family. I’ve put hundreds of hours in and started from scratch just to undo a mistake, and i’ve never been paid a penny.

• @MasterBlaster@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        211 months ago

A hobby or a passion is not a job you do to keep a roof over your head and feed your family. You also probably don’t live in a communist country where you are compelled to work at low wages and wait your turn to get access to meager supplies for your crochet.