• @dresden
    link
    English
    edit-2
    11 months ago

First Law Trilogy is one of the best series that I hated 😀

I don’t like grimdark, I want more of “good guy beat bad guy, and they lived happily ever after”. Okay, not entirely true, but you get my point. So, while I didn’t like the story, or the characters, it was a really good series. I have read the main trilogy and the standalone Best Served Cold, planning the get The Heroes sometimes. When I need a dose of grimdark.

How is Prince of Nothing? Is it also grimdark? Would you recommend for something who generally doesn’t like grimdark, but would still read it if it’s a really well written book?

• @VerbTheNoun95@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      211 months ago

Prince of Nothing is one of the grimmest, darkest series I’ve read lol

Lots of atrocities committed in the name of religion, power, etc. Lots of visceral depictions of pretty serious subjects. Lots of philosophizing about pretty dark things.

Through it all though the characters are compelling and the story is engaging after a point. The world and characters feel very real, even some of the more outlandish ones. There’s certainly no “fun” in it like there was in the First Law books. I get the sense that it probably goes way too for in the grim dark direction for you, regardless of how well it’s written.

Not to be that guy, but Malazan strikes the perfect balance for me between a grimdark feel and a hopeful theme with fun characters. If you haven’t read it and have the time, those are always worth picking up.

• @dresden
        link
        English
        211 months ago

Yeah, that doesn’t seem to be something that I would enjoy.

Malazan is on my wishlist, but I usually don’t have much time to read these, and these big series have started to look daunting now. Going to read it someday though.