• @Blackmist@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    9911 months ago

Well that’s handy, because thanks to the EU that’s what everything will be using anyway.

What else are they going to mandate? That sand remains course and irritating? Or more likely demand that the rest of the world stops laughing at their Jetsons city idea.

• @Ondergetekende@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      111 months ago

This goes way further than EU rules.

EU regulation only mandates this for phones. This also covers non-phone electronics, such as mice, keyboards, flashlights, handheld fans, ebooks etc. As of 2026, it also applies to laptops.

• @S13Ni@lemmy.studio
        link
        fedilink
        English
        1411 months ago

I still haven’t found a good reason to ever use wireless charging, feels like a gimmick to me Wire is just more convenient.

• Flying Squid
          link
          fedilink
          English
          511 months ago

In order to charge my phone wirelessly, I have to take it out of the case. Which is a bigger pain than just plugging a wire into it.

• @rickywithanm@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          111 months ago

I actually use wireless charging at night. They way I see it is in cutting down on the wear on my charging port. Plus, the slightly slower charge speeds are probably better for my battery long term

• @S13Ni@lemmy.studio
            link
            fedilink
            English
            211 months ago

Cutting wear of is fair point. Fast charging can be disabled if wanted with wired charging so that is not issue. Because of wireless charging, the backlid has to be glass, which is annoying cause it breaks more easily.

• @corsicanguppy@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        411 months ago

We’ve hit peak QI, almost.

Even Kindles have it now. Watches, phones, like 4 brands of earbuds I tested the other day (testing power share from the older samsungs), etc.

The only thing that doesn’t have it in our house is my oura ring, which as a G2 is the last one I want to buy from what that company has become, so it’s going to solve itself soon.

• @elscallr@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          411 months ago

The only time I’d even use wireless charging is when I’m in bed. Any other time I need to be able to use my phone when it’s charging.

• @macrocephalic@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            111 months ago

It seems like a good idea to have it built into a nightstand or built into your desk so your phone charges when you put it down. In practice you have to place the phone down in a very specific spot on the charger for it to work, so it’s hardly more convenient than a cable.

• @feifei@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            011 months ago

MagSafe battery and all other MagSafe accessories🤷🏻‍♂️. I charge exclusively by MagSafe aka wireless.

• @feifei@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                111 months ago

I’ve never had time constraints and you don’t need two hands to charge your phone or have any cables dangling down. If you don’t use it, just put it on the charger. Done

• @feifei@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    211 months ago

Nope, I’m pretty well organized. Even then, you can take a MagSafe battery pack with you.

• @Cybersteel@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      -1711 months ago

Government mandates electronics sounds very Communist. I thought were way past that already. Companies should be allowed to compete for charging standards without government interference. Let the invisible hand of capitalism self correct itself, though the heavens fall.

• Flying Squid
        link
        fedilink
        English
        911 months ago

Yes, every government regulation is communism. No dangerous lead levels in drinking water, gasoline, etc.? Communism. Companies should be allowed to compete for lead level standards without government interference. Let the invisible hand of capitalism correct itself.

• Echo Dot
        link
        fedilink
        English
        411 months ago

Yeah well the markets had plenty of time to regulate itself it hasn’t bothered to do so mostly because it contains Apple. Not every piece of government oversight is communism.

• @Nathandee@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        311 months ago

True… companies can come up with their charging standards. Just don’t try to sell it in all of EU or Saudi Arabia. Also apple overcharged for the damn cables and they break so quickly. last time I used iphone the cable was 20 euro. While I could buy 20 USB-C cables for that. Never had a broken USB-C cable. not even the ones for AliExpress