This was a nice week for book reading. Don’t usually get this much time generally.

Finished The Last White Man by Mohsin Hamid. I didn’t like the writing style initially but got used to as I read along. It’s a small book, just a little more than 100 pages. An umm… interesting read.

Got my copy of The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England by Brandon Sanderson. Really liked the book. It was a fun, light book. There was much less action than I was expecting, after reading the announcement of the book, but that didn’t make book any less enjoyable. Finished the book in two days, which I rarely get to do now.

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher. Book 3 of Dresden Files. I have just started it, but it’s the same Dresden Files. Nothing to say about that.

What have you been reading?

• @dresdenOPM
    link
    English
    111 months ago

I read Mistborn quite a while ago, and remember liking it a lot, but I have heard from people that Mistborn is probably his weakest series, in terms of writing. How did you like the first two books?

As much as I don’t like grimdark, First Law was a pretty good series. I have two standalone novels left, want to read them before continuing to Age of Madness.

• @NakedGardenGnome@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      311 months ago

I liked the mistborn series, and found the magic system quite unique and inventive.

I’m now nearing the end of warbeaker, in which I also like his special magic system.

• @dresdenOPM
        link
        English
        211 months ago

Yeah, he has interesting magic systems. That is one of the appeal of reading his Cosmere novels, to read different magic systems on different worlds.

• @DadWagonDriver@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      211 months ago

The Mistborn series is just OK, but I want to see the payoff and how this ties into the Cosmere as a whole. I actually disliked it so much the first time I read Mistborn that I gave up halfway through; I thought it was absolutely the dumbest magic system I’ve ever read.

I came back to it after reading the Stormlight books, which is also a dumb magic and currency system but such an epic story I got past it much more easily. The Mistborn series feels a little too YA for me, but I do really like some of the characters.

• @dresdenOPM
        link
        English
        211 months ago

I actually like his magic systems. Very scientific-y. If you didn’t like his magic systems in Mistborn and Stormlight, don’t read Elantris. 😀

• @DadWagonDriver@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          211 months ago

The Stormlight magic system is a lot better than the metal system in Mistborn to me, but the goofiness of using essentially marbles as money just sticks with me. I just picture Adolin constantly walking around with like a cartoon money sack from a bank filled with spheres.

• @dresdenOPM
            link
            English
            211 months ago

Heh, that is a funny image. Though, people did use to carry gold / silver / copper coins, so maybe it’s not that different. Different kind of spheres for different stuff, having couple of pouches on you, rest in some chest.