Pixelfed got featured on the Wired and here’s what @dansup@mastodon.social, the author of @pixelfed@mastodon.social, says:

[…]

All those long nights working on backend scalability and performance improvements are about to be put to the test

I wasn’t anticipating this attention for a few more months, but I’m ready 😎

• hoodatninja
    link
    fedilink
    1411 months ago

Someone give me a hard sell here! Why should I use this app? I used to use Instagram (photographer/cinematographer), and I stopped using it because not just the tracking and all of that, but frankly, the content itself. Not to mention the algorithms are so busted and all they do is show me rage bait or flagrant ads disguised as content I would actually care about.

Why do people like pixelfed?

• sab
      link
      fedilink
      1811 months ago

In my experience it is very much focused around photography, similar to Instagram when it was still good. The lack of algorithms pushing bullshit makes the feed feel much more organic, showing the people you follow - and there are already, in my experience, a healthy amount of talented people sharing interesting content.

Then again, I appreciate nature photography, so I’m not hard to satisfy.

• Kara
          link
          fedilink
          411 months ago

Yeah, like pretty much all platforms on the fediverse, they’re not owned by large companies, and don’t try ads or selling user data for profit

• hoodatninja
            link
            fedilink
            211 months ago

Do you know if there are plans for an iOS app? I only see one or two third-party apps. Are they any good?

• Kara
              link
              fedilink
              211 months ago

There have been testflights (Apple betas) for the pixelfed app, so it’s in development. Unsure about the quality of 3rd party apps though