• Freeman
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Also he DIDNT “SELL” the prototype, he AUCTIONED it.

Said my 7 year old this weekend, and linus.

Seriously. Its excuses my kids use. “It was an accident”. “I misunderstood”. I didnt hit my brother, it was a love tap.

• @narp@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1911 months ago

Especially because Steve said “auctioned” and not “sold”. Nice strawman, same as his “bad journalism” take. It only leads the discussion away from the allegations.

• @FontMasterFlex@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        311 months ago

These sorts of folk ALWAYS think their viewers / fans are dumber than they are. They are the smartest person in the room, even if it’s just on a a screen.

• Freeman
        link
        fedilink
        English
        111 months ago

Im gonna be honest and say i think most of his viewers are children or teens that dont have much in the way of life experience. Its pretty clear in just the long term ways he approaches stuff. Its cheeky and fun, sure, but its not a good example of how you do IT, tech or even personal computing. Its often reckless at best and kinda dangerous at worst. Like when he decided he didnt want a generator and decided to try and DIY a central UPS solution with little to no ventilation in a small closet. This was a LONG time ago, but it pretty much a fire hazard.

He also had a habit of just doing weird shit like mounting UPS systems above the servers, making the rack no only top heavy and possibly a tip hazard, but it allows for things like the UPS battery leaking caustic fluid to ruin the very devices hes seeking to protect…

• @themusicman@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      411 months ago

The distinction Linus was trying to make there was that the proceeds were going to a charity and not to his pockets, as “sell” might imply.

Still a deflection, but not quite as infantile.

• Freeman
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Maybe but the point is it’s a distinction without a difference or in his own words “it doesn’t matter the outcome is still the same”

He sold something that wasn’t his. If I donate my neighbors car to charity while it’s on loan to me, EVEN if I give him the money that was paid it’s still a dick move and illegal. And that is something that is replaceable with an actual market value.

And in this case it’s a prototype that is 1 of 1. This move caused real damage to another person/company.

Like I tell my kids “sorry doesn’t make it better or make things alright”. And in this case it straight up not good enough. Even a qualifier of “we put some controls in place to make sure this never happens again” is still not good enough. He’s not obsolved of the burden no matter how many times he claims he is.

• @Waldhuette@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        711 months ago

Is it proven that the proceeds were going to charity ? Quite honestly I do not believe anything that LMG claims without proof at this point. Too much scummy behavior to give them any benefit of the doubt.

• @Vlyn@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        011 months ago

That doesn’t matter at all. I can’t steal something from you, then auction it off and say “All good, I gave the money to charity!”

Especially when I can then write of that donation from my taxes on top.

What you do with the money after selling it doesn’t actually matter.

• tinsukE
      link
      fedilink
      English
      111 months ago

Wait a sec, I’m gonna create a bunch of bot accounts just to up vote this higher.

*not gonna. I’m lazy, but it’d deserve it.