The world’s largest chipmaker promised to create thousands of US jobs. There are growing tensions over whether US workers have the skills or work ethic to do them.::Jobs at the TSMC semiconductor factory in Arizona could require long hours and total obedience. Americans may push back on the company’s culture.

• GreenBottles
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I work in the US and I’m on call 24 hours a day basically doing IT work it’s not that crazy

• @marmarama@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      11 months ago

If you’re on-call 24/7/365 without a break, and it’s not because you have equity in the company, then find a new job.

If you don’t, then your health (physical and mental) will eventually force you to leave anyway. I did it at a startup where I was employee #1 (no equity for me), just me and the founders, and I nearly had a nervous breakdown from it, and ended up quitting from stress. Afterwards I decided I would do no more than 1 week in 3, and life got better after that.

• GreenBottles
        link
        fedilink
        English
        111 months ago

we are just a small company and that’s the reason for the demand of my time but the way that we do things I don’t really work after hours very often at all unless it’s scheduled situation or an emergency you can do this in a way that is healthy for employees you just have to have policies that protect the workers

• AggressivelyPassive
      link
      fedilink
      English
      411 months ago

Unless you let yourself get fucked over, you’re not on call 24/7/365 and for the time you are on call, you should get some sort of compensation.

They want to pay you shitty for 8 hours and than let you work 12-14 plus being on call for the rest of the day.

• @Damage@feddit.it
        link
        fedilink
        English
        211 months ago

Here in Italy “being on call” is a contract clause, it’s often a rotation roster between multiple similar employees, and requires extra compensation