Recently got a VPN because I’ve become increasingly paranoid (It’s getting crazy out there), but… is it a bannable offense to use it while on Steam?

I’m finding mixed answers, and I wanna be safe, so I figured the Fediverse might know.

• Chozo
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Valve only cares if you’re setting your VPN to a different region to take advantage of differences in currency exchange rates. It used to be really popular to buy the version of a game released for random eastern European countries with poorer economies for a lot less than you’d spend in USD, until Valve started cracking down on that.

As long as any purchases you make from your account are done from the correct country for the content you’re buying (and as long as the billing address on your credit card also matches the correct country), the VPN shouldn’t set off any red flags or result in any bans.

• Queen HawlSeraOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      211 months ago

Cool, so the only thing I’d need to worry about is if I actually went into my Steam settings to change the region, not so much the VPN?

• Chozo
        link
        fedilink
        211 months ago

Yup, as long as all your Steam Store and payment method settings match the country you’re buying from, you should be good. My roommate games on Steam from a VPN all the time and has had no issues in the several years that he’s done that (though I don’t believe he’s using the VPN to change his location, just to hide his IP).