• @senoro@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    511 months ago

Athiest memes users try to recognise the huge amount of irony in a post that essentially says “it’s bad for someone to be raised believing in something i don’t believe!! But if they are raised to have the same opinions as me it’s good!!!”

• @afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      211 months ago

Is there something you think I, an atheist parent, has raised their child to believe that isn’t based on evidence of how the world operates? I teach my kids how to treat other people and the how is based on what I have seen work and not work.

• Johanno
      link
      fedilink
      111 months ago

Well I would suggest that you rise a child without any Religion until they are old enough to make own decisions. I think the evangelic church sets this age at 14 or sth. Where you have to confirm your affiliation to the religion.

• @McScience
      link
      111 months ago

I mean, sure lots of atheists are assholes. But many of us were raised religious. For sure I know more atheists raised religious than I know religious folks raised atheist. Either way folks should just let folks make up their own minds

• @uriel238@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      011 months ago

The building of critical thinking skills is conspicuously missing from the general education curricula throughout the United States, and is actively prohibited by the platform of the Republican Party of Texas.

They’re necessary given children have credulity built it, of which religious ministries take advantage. In fact the Good News Club is an intentional effort by an Evangelist ministry to mission to kids in public schools. (After School With Satan is TSTs response to it and teaches science and deduction skills.)

Once my grandkid is kitted up with critical thinking, I can figure he’ll be adquately equipped to work out his own understanding of Life, The Universe and Everything. At least if he’s holding onto religious faith then, it’s serving some personal purpose, rather than yoking him into some bastard’s religious army.