• @FederatedSaint@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      1111 months ago

See, this is why I came here. You definitely should be teaching your kids some healthy “opinions” like treat people kindly, think critically , etc. If you don’t, someone else will.

• @afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      111 months ago

I struggle with this. I know I am supposed to do the whole Carl Sagan-ish well let’s analysis that claim thing with my kids. And for the most part I do manage to pull this off. Still feel guilty about last week when my nine year kept insisting that there was a ghost haunting a nearby lake. Just snapped

Look, there are no gods, or demons, or ghosts, or monsters, or fairies, or Santa, or heaven or hell or reincarnation and prayer doesn’t work. All that is above us is sky and below us is ground. When we die that is it. And the faster you stop believing in this nonsense the better.

I said I was sorry and hugged her later. I hope this isn’t one of those memories that linger on and on.

• @Rukmer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        211 months ago

Dang, you already feel bad so I’m not going to try to make you feel worse. We all make parenting mistakes. I would like to say I think the reason some people believe in stuff is because they need to. My kid seems to believe in ghosts. He had like a legitimate mental breakdown when he was 5 and really realized that humans die and it’s inevitable (not only those who are sick or in an accident). He still has obsessive thoughts and existential anxiety. From the beginning I told him people believe different things. Personally, I don’t have any beliefs about life or death, but great grandma believes in heaven, aunty believes in ghosts, people believe you come back as babies, etc. I was very clear that we have no proof of any of this and that anyone who ever says their answer is the one and only true answer, is full of it. The truth is we only know what we can prove.

He’s a good critical thinker for his age. I think he knows ghosts aren’t real, but it helps him. It would honestly be cruel to take it away. He knows some religions teach bigotry and that some religions are cults and many others are cult-like (he’s quite interested in cults haha). There’s a difference between beliefs and religions. Kids are smarter than we think. They will be okay. I do not think kids raised by critically thinking atheist parents are going to grow to to join harmful religions for the most part. We don’t have to be like many of our religious parents were. They treated us that way because they were scared we would grow up and not believe like they do. But we need to teach our kids more how to think than what to think (although sharing some opinions is important too). I don’t think you need to worry because a kid thinks something is haunted. It’s either just for fun or being used as a way to get through life until they’re mature enough to actually handle final death. It’s a huge thing for many people to accept.

• @senoro@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    511 months ago

Athiest memes users try to recognise the huge amount of irony in a post that essentially says “it’s bad for someone to be raised believing in something i don’t believe!! But if they are raised to have the same opinions as me it’s good!!!”

• @afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      211 months ago

Is there something you think I, an atheist parent, has raised their child to believe that isn’t based on evidence of how the world operates? I teach my kids how to treat other people and the how is based on what I have seen work and not work.

• @McScience
      link
      111 months ago

I mean, sure lots of atheists are assholes. But many of us were raised religious. For sure I know more atheists raised religious than I know religious folks raised atheist. Either way folks should just let folks make up their own minds

• Johanno
      link
      fedilink
      111 months ago

Well I would suggest that you rise a child without any Religion until they are old enough to make own decisions. I think the evangelic church sets this age at 14 or sth. Where you have to confirm your affiliation to the religion.

• @uriel238@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      011 months ago

The building of critical thinking skills is conspicuously missing from the general education curricula throughout the United States, and is actively prohibited by the platform of the Republican Party of Texas.

They’re necessary given children have credulity built it, of which religious ministries take advantage. In fact the Good News Club is an intentional effort by an Evangelist ministry to mission to kids in public schools. (After School With Satan is TSTs response to it and teaches science and deduction skills.)

Once my grandkid is kitted up with critical thinking, I can figure he’ll be adquately equipped to work out his own understanding of Life, The Universe and Everything. At least if he’s holding onto religious faith then, it’s serving some personal purpose, rather than yoking him into some bastard’s religious army.

• @uriel238@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        -111 months ago

Curiously, this is the point of the Protestant traditions Sola Fide (salvation by faith alone) and Sola Scriptura (salvation by scripture alone) which means each parishioner is responsible for deciding what passages are important and how they are to be interpreted.

But that cuts out the preacherman and makes salvation easy (assuming a reasonable deity) so much of sermonizing is about making Christians feel guilty and uncertain.

And they really dont like biblical scholars who put in check notions like biblical infallibility, or rightousness of the Hebrews.

• @luciferofastora
      link
      411 months ago

BTW, if anyone doesn’t know, but wants to know the point behind the fish, it’s supposedly an acrostic that produces the greek word for “Fish”: Ichthys (ἸΧΘΥΣ), composed of the words " Ἰησοῦς Χρῑστός Θεοῦ Υἱός Σωτήρ", transliterated “Iesous CHristos, THeou (h)Yios, Soter”, meaning “Jesus the anointed, son of god, saviour”.

Early christians used the symbol to mark meeting places and the like when they were being prosecuted by the Romans.

• @taiyang@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    211 months ago

Feels a little redundant having the fish and the cross in the same baby branding set. Also how did satanism get added to that set, these guys should get a refund.

• Th4tGuyII
    link
    fedilink
    111 months ago

The religious would never agree to that. Their kind of indoctrination works best when done from birth, before the children have any chance to develop critical thinking skills.

In fact, it’s better to stop them developing those entirely, cause once they do, it becomes a lot harder to pull them in, cause they’ll always start from a place of doubt, especially if they’ve been educated well.

Indoctrination’s worst nightmare is a well educated public who are allowed to be sceptical of you.

• @Captain_Waffles@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      011 months ago

Yep, the final nail in the coffin of me trying to make myself believe I was Catholic so that I wouldn’t go to hell was encountering the “real world” and finding it wasn’t the Satanist hellhole I was raised to believe.