Business says it doesn’t serve anyone who is armed

• FuglyDuck
    link
    fedilink
    English
    5710 months ago

you can try… I’ve actually been there. Sort of.

Used to work contract security. my client was next to a MLB ball field- their parking lot literally was next to the service entrance, so the various staff that weren’t special (concessions, security, etc,) would park there. A lot of their ball game security are moonlighting cops or retired cops… they liked to tail gate after the game… but the city would revoke the license for running a parking lot if we allowed alcohol.

Getting drunken cops to leave your property when the other cops tried to be like “what’s the harm,” etc is no good.

• BarqsHasBite
      link
      fedilink
      1510 months ago

I guess just keep calling the cops just to get the record that you tried to get the alcohol off.

• FuglyDuck
        link
        fedilink
        English
        1810 months ago

it’s really not that simple. First, if you keep nuisance complaints, they’ll fine you (or in my case, fine my clients. which would have me fired.)
        secondly, you annoy the cops enough, they’ll freeze you out regardless of what their policies/rules say, and as a security guard, you’re reliant on them to come save you if you ever have an active shooter or, more likely, just an aggressive asshole who doesn’t like being told they can’t do whatever it is they’re trying to do.

• BarqsHasBite
          link
          fedilink
          1010 months ago

Well do it often enough that you can show the city department that you don’t allow alcohol and tried to get them removed (as seen by police records).

• @RaoulDook@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          310 months ago

you’re reliant on them to come save you if you ever have an active shooter

This is not a good plan, you need to be responsible for your own safety because you can’t count on the imaginary good guy cops to save you from anything. It may be 30 minutes before they show up, or they may not even show up at all.

• FuglyDuck
            link
            fedilink
            English
            310 months ago

This is the only plan we got.

Liability is a bitch, ain’t it?

• stopthatgirl7OP
          link
          fedilink
          110 months ago

you’re reliant on them to come save you if you ever have an active shooter

…how’d that work out for those kids in Uvalde, tho.

• @SulaymanF@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      510 months ago

That really is a tough one. The only chance you have is to escalate and demand the duty sergeant come down and deal with the problem of his unruly officers or make an extremely public complaint to the media and mayor that will force a response.

• @nilloc@discuss.tchncs.de
        link
        fedilink
        810 months ago

You could try the state police non-emergency.

Or find a parking/fire violation that the fire department would care about. I’ve seen them put cops in there place a few times. Even pushed a cruiser down the street in Boston when it was double parked in there way.

I wish I’d had a camera phone back then, I’m pretty sure they don’t report those kind of things into logs that end up in the paper.