So basically, my setup has everything encrypted except /boot/efi. This means that /boot/grub is encrypted, along with my kernels.

I am now attempting to get secure boot setup, to lock some stuff, down, but I encountered this issue: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=282076

Now I could sign the font files… but I don’t want to. Font files and grub config are located under /boot/grub, and therefore encrypted. An attacker doing something like removing my hard drive would not be able to modify them.

I don’t want to go through the effort of encrypting font files, does anyone know if there is a version of grub that doesn’t do this?

Actually, preferably, I would like a version of grub that doesn’t verify ANYTHING. Since everything but grub’s efi file is encrypted, it would be so much simpler to only do secure boot for that.

And yes, I do understand there are security benefits to being able to prevent an attacker that has gained some level of running access to do something like replacing your kernel. But I’m less concerned about that vector of attack, I would simply like to make it so that my laptops aren’t affected by evil maid attacks, without losing benefits from timeshift or whatnot.

I found the specific commit where grub enforces verification of font files: https://github.com/rhboot/grub2/commit/539662956ad787fffa662720a67c98c217d78128

But I don’t really feel interested in creating and maintaining my own fork of grub, and I am wondering if someone has already done that.

• Siliconic
    link
    010 months ago

Just edit the source code and recompile bro /s

• @moonpiedumplings@programming.devOP
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Dunno why this is downvoted, this is unironically a last resort of mine. I don’t want to maintain a fork of grub but if it comes down to it, I may do something similar to this except the sed trick doesn’t seem to work anymore.

EDIT: sed trick does work. I just forgot to install grub with --disable-shim-lock.

• Siliconic
        link
        210 months ago

Maybe they are downvoting because I used /s? idk lol