“Based on your consent, we may collect and use your biometric information for safety, security, and identification purposes,” the privacy policy reads. It doesn’t include any details on what kind of biometric information this includes — or how X plans to collect it — but it typically involves fingerprints, iris patterns, or facial features.

X Corp. was named in a proposed class action lawsuit in July over claims that its data collection violates the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act. The lawsuit alleges that X “has not adequately informed individuals” that it “collects and/or stores their biometric identifiers in every photograph containing a face” that’s uploaded to the platform.

• @FrostyCaveman@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    10 months ago

This was inevitable since Elon’s original shitpost tweet about wanting to buy Twitter and “authenticate all real humans”. Presumably to differentiate them from bots (including AI bots).

Problem I have with this (lol let’s just focus on this one thing right here for a sec) is that there’s absolutely no telling what exceptions Xitter will make and for who. No way to verify it

We can probably expect to see a heck of a lot more of this stuff in future, beyond Xitter and on many other places on the internet, once the scale of the AI problem grows and/or is understood. Perhaps eventually the expectation will be that every piece of posted content will have to be cryptographically signed with a “real human”s identifier(s)

So yeah that’d be the death of the anonymous and pseudonymous internet. It sucks. I don’t see any other way around it, though I will say I’ve already had some decent conversations with entities I know to be characters from LLM output

• @FrostyCaveman@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        410 months ago

Oh, sorry, I didn’t make it clear but that prediction was following on from the third paragraph. Unfortunately I think this is going to be part of a bigger trend