• Billiam
    link
    fedilink
    3310 months ago

Won’t someone think of the poor landed gentry!?

• @DudePluto@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      2810 months ago

How did volunteers who run reddit’s for-profit business for them for free end up equated with landed gentry?

• @lolcatnip@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        1610 months ago

I think you’re responding to a half-assed attempt at sarcasm. It was spez who originally called mods landed gentry.

• Billiam
          link
          fedilink
          510 months ago

Hey now, I’ll have you know I only ever whole-ass my sarcasm!

• Billiam
        link
        fedilink
        1110 months ago

“And I think, on Reddit, the analogy is closer to the landed gentry: The people who get there first get to stay there and pass it down to their descendants, and that is not democratic.”

-Steve “spez” Huffman, days before he democratically forced protesting subs to reopen and removed mods.

• @Mereo@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        910 months ago

That’s a really good question to ask Reddit’s CEO as he is the one who said that.

• @DogMuffins@discuss.tchncs.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        310 months ago

I’m certainly not defending spez and I wholeheartedly agree that this business model is daft, but with all that said… for every responsible dedicated knowledgeable reddit mod, there’s a dozen who find fulfilment in being fief lords.

It was all fun and games until reddit threatened to de-mod them, then suddenly “for the good of the community” they decided that bending over was the only option.