• @Taleya@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    17210 months ago

Fucked off everyone who did the work from a place of passion and knowledge and replaced them with power-hungry shills WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG

• @phoenixz@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      3410 months ago

Thirteen years of Reddit and I left with the ourge. I found lemmy and anever looked back.

All hail Lemmy!

• @socsa@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Same. It’s about more than just the app to me. It felt like a betrayal of the social contract which brought me to Reddit in the first place, and which kept me there even as I slowly aged out of the main culture, as the site became a hot bed for shady viral marketing and information warfare, and then as the site became infested with fascist mind rot.

That contract was about building and curating your own experience, which was genuinely a radical idea in the forum world at one point in time. But killing off the API signalled to me that this was no longer the casem. Spez was building just another shitty walled garden, and that was taking precedence over the “build your own reddit” experience I’d come to know and love.

• @lobut@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          810 months ago

I think that’s a good way of putting it. I couldn’t be on Reddit any more afterwards and Spez being like, let’s just wait it out. It felt like a spit in the face.

• @RedditWanderer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        1510 months ago

Same! The day the cut off the apps I never looked back. Reddit was a huge addiction.

Lemmy doesn’t have as much content but at least I get a bit of a fix, and can stick it to Spez

• @Lazycog@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      1810 months ago

Yup. I had never heard of the fediverse and so glad I got introduced to it with the added benefit of many others doing so as well (so there is content and activity here).

• @cheese_greater@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        910 months ago

Particularly the emphasis on the importance of decentralisation and setting it up right so never again do we have to go through that loss of community and platform. It really sucked in ways equally rational and emotional.

• @Andrenikous@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          10 months ago

The platform of the fediverse may continue but the loss of community is still very much a possibility. All it takes is hostile actors manipulating their way into control of a particular community and then they can shutter it or steer it in a direction of their choosing. Every community on every server is like a Corp in Eve. It’s easy to start an alternative but the specific community will still be harmed. But that’s life.

• @PopcornPlayaa_@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      110 months ago

Which is the best? I like Lemmy but havent tried the others you listed. Are they on par with Lemmy or more populated??

• @neptune@dmv.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    5310 months ago

They specifically mention open kettle canning as a bad practice. My friend and I were canning something and he wasn’t sure we were doing it right. He called his mom and she said she had always done open kettle canning (where you basically just pouring boiling temp food into hot jars and seal them). I guess experts have soured on the practice.

Either way, we made our cans the “right” way after lots of googling and none of the jars seemed to fail.

While I sympathize with the moderators, I would assume that historically most subs are not moderated by experts, but yes, a decrease in quality mods and mod tools will choke reddit to death.

• 𝘋𝘪𝘳𝘬
      link
      fedilink
      6110 months ago

a decrease in quality mods and mod tools will choke reddit to death.

Thanks to Reddit i learned Docker and everything needed to self-host a lot of cool stuff - without even visiting Reddit.

• theodewere
      link
      fedilink
      1110 months ago

i don’t understand why anyone voluntarily works for those dipshits

• @bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          2710 months ago

Exactly. There was a time when using Reddit didn’t feel like you were giving Reddit the company anything for free. There was a transaction happening. They provided a platform to interact with like-minded people, and in return you used that platform, thereby drawing more traffic to their site.

• theodewere
            link
            fedilink
            110 months ago

i understand the idea, i’m just not sure i can remember those days anymore on that platform… it’s a good idea…

• @itsJoelle@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      2810 months ago

Did for me, at least. Having a “slower” version of reddit has done wonders for me. I’ve been able to get the news updates on Lemmy, but there isn’t a deluge of dopamine hits in my feed like Reddit. It’s done wonders for me.

• @MNByChoice@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    3210 months ago

Companies seem to over estimate how many people are willing to do certain kinds of work.

Did Spaz think a thousand mods were just waiting in the wings that would not have similar concerns as the first group?

• @sugartits@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      1210 months ago

He unironically probably did.

He also modded the jailbait subreddit, in case you were unaware.

A real stand up guy

• @bradorsomething@ttrpg.network
    link
    fedilink
    2810 months ago

One of my favorite outcomes of the purge is when I occasionally look at Reddit, I’ll see an enthusiastically titled post from oldfreefolk, with ZERO replies. Are those goofballs over here anywhere, I’d love a bit more of bobbyb in my life.

• @linearchaos@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    2110 months ago

They never found the right people in the first place, theres just a lot of dice rolls, luck and fragmentation.

Most mods were never experts.

They lost a lot of their more level-headed reditors as things started getting more toxic though

• @tvbusy@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    2010 months ago

As with traditional Reddit PR: Reddit will comment when there’s correction to be made. Since Reddit made no correction, the article is 100% accurate.

• Ulu-Mulu-no-die
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1910 months ago

None of the forcibly removed mods I spoke with have worked with or plan to work with replacement mods to pass on knowledge gained through years of experience.

None of them should. Let reddit deal with the consequences of their actions, trying to fix it for them would be telling them it’s ok to treat free labor as shit (as they did).

• @tinkeringidiot@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1910 months ago

The (impending disaster of an) IPO can proceed, they don’t care about the rest. Content quality doesn’t mean squat until it affects ad revenue.

• @phoenixz@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      810 months ago

Eh, they’ll sell their stocks once the IPO hits. They’ll leave with a tonne of money and Reddit can burn. They don’t care, they never did