• @Mr_Buscemi@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    14510 months ago

the anonymous Redditor pointed me to the subreddit’s sidebar, which has a disclaimer about the dangers of electricity. However, the disclaimer is only visible on old Reddit. The mod doesn’t know why.

Wow this is the part that made me laugh the most. One of the first things I learned when as a mod was that you had to change the side bar in both old.reddit and the newer version since they both have different sidebars.

I never even realized that the loss of whole mod teams could make this simple feature unknown by the new team.

• ZeroCool
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      10 months ago

There are a huge amount of redditors these days who have no idea old reddit ever existed and the first time they heard of 3rd party apps was when Reddit announced they were pricing them out of existence. Naturally, a lot of those people are going to become mods now and their ignorance about fundamental aspects of the site is glaring.

This is only tangentially related but I started using reddit 13 years ago and the userbase has become increasingly unrecognizable in recent years. But what makes me truly feel like a dinosaur is seeing six month old accounts refer to reddit as “an app”… It’s bizarre to me that so many people’s exposure to reddit is limited to the worst way to possibly use the platform (the official app).

• @Mr_Buscemi@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        2510 months ago

I remember Reddit 13 years ago and it really was a different place. The whole calling it an app was something that annoyed me too lol.

I also still remember my first reddit experience was BaconReader on the Windows 7 phone lmfao. I’m old.

• @CeeBee@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        1910 months ago

what makes me truly feel like a dinosaur is seeing six month old accounts refer to reddit as “an app”

At least you haven’t met people referring to the internet as “wifi” and didn’t have a 16 year old say they “needed at least 8GB of memory on a laptop to store music” (this was about 6 or so years ago). They thought that the RAM specs (aka memory) was the same thing as storage on phones. I saw his brain melting when I tried explaining it to him and was confused by my saying “phones have both memory and storage, the same as a laptop or desktop”.

• @DoomBot5@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      4510 months ago

Well yeah, when reddit just picks up whatever volunteers yell loudest, they don’t exactly get experienced mods. Those people all left reddit already.

• @ch00f@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      2110 months ago

One of the mods on a sub I moderated got compromised, and the css of the sub got turned to cancer as part of a site wide attack.

I got a few PMs bringing it to my anttention and fixed it/demodded the culprit. A day later, I remembered new Reddit and saw that it was changed in the attack as well. Not a single one of the 1M+ subs brought it to my attention. Either they weren’t using new Reddit, or they didn’t care.