Reddit faces content quality concerns after its Great Mod Purge::Concerns of Redditor safety, jeopardized research amid new mods and API rules.

• @madthumbs@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        510 months ago

I’ve been learning to control the outrage, and figuring out ways to turn things around. It’s like my time with conspiracy theories helped me to discern bullshit, fact check, be objective, etc.

• The Picard Maneuver
          link
          fedilink
          English
          210 months ago

The hardest part is when you’re served something on your “side” of the issues. It’s so much easier to spot errors on the “opposing side” than your own.

• FartsWithAnAccent
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1910 months ago

Depended on the sub, some were actually pretty well moderated (though a lot weren’t)

• @madthumbs@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        -510 months ago

That didn’t stop the circle-jerking, romanticism, and ignorance of the sub’s participants, or the ridiculous and inordinate amount of positive and negative karma coming from subs about weevils, for example. Easy karma just for posting ‘aww lawd, here we go again’ in r/bedbugs. Post a pic of a steak in r/steaks with ‘cast iron’ and ‘reverse sear’ and get easy karma too. - Post the same steak or even a much better one with ‘tri-clad / air fryer’ and get nothing. -First-hand experience with a crappy AI generated steak and one I put in an air fryer for 25 minutes at 180F before finishing in a tri-clad. -Edge to edge medium looking better than 99% of theirs. -lol. (The karma system is shit)

• @TwilightVulpine@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        1710 months ago

I see all over the internet a certain tribalism towards each person’s social media of choice. Even when people admit that there are problems, they still want to convince themselves it’s better than all the others and that everywhere else is pure drivel.

I am rooting for Lemmy but I’m only going to call it “better” when searching with “site:lemmy.*” returns me better results than “site:reddit.com”. For now the culture is a bit better but the content is still pretty scarce, not to mention that there is nothing making this place any less susceptible to misinformation.

• @madthumbs@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        310 months ago

I felt it was enough to hint that.-lol Criticism of alternatives being too much like Reddit hasn’t been well received.