The outcome was predicted by plenty users in this community, but now the news are noticing it.

• @CosmicTurtle@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    710 months ago

As someone who left Reddit shortly after they instituted the API changes and then stopped following the fall out, can someone provide a TL;DR of what happened?

I know that reddit pushed back on the protesting subs by saying “revert to what you were or we’ll do it for you” and then started asking lower ranked mods to scab.

But beyond that, I don’t know if reddit actually reverted the changes, dismissed the mods, or anything else.

• LvxferreOPM
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      10 months ago

can someone provide a TL;DR of what happened

API changes happened. Mods protested against those API changes by privating their subs (blackout). Initially the blackout was expected to last two days, but plenty mods kept going indefinitely, because Reddit refused to undo the changes, and because plenty users were also pissed against Huffman smearing a third party app developer. Then Reddit resurrected the u/ModCodeOfConduct account to threaten the mods to go back, while pretending “I dun unrurrstand, u dun liek to mod than u leave lol” (in other words but in the same spirit). Plenty mods refused, so they were removed as mods. Then the same u/ModCodeOfConduct account started recruiting bozos and vultures to moderate the subs where the mods were kicked out.

TL;DR: of the TL;DR: Reddit didn’t revert changes. Mods were kicked out. Dumbarses in their place.

• @CosmicTurtle@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        510 months ago

That last step is…crazy.

So, in theory, I could have made a brand new account, say I will scab, and turn the sub into a burning dumpster fire.

I mean, if we really wanted to tank reddit, we should have been done on it purpose.

• LvxferreOPM
          link
          fedilink
          310 months ago

Yup. And the karma restriction seems extremely low (probably because no sane person would still be willing to mod Reddit?). It’s that sort of thing that you get in a single day, by simply answering stupid r/AskReddit questions with equally stupid jokes.

• Nougat
      link
      fedilink
      710 months ago

Changes not reverted. Many mods dismissed. Many subs forcefully taken over, with very young accounts appointed to lead them.

Granted, I haven’t been back in many weeks now, but that was the state of affairs last time I was paying close attention.