• @arc@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      1710 months ago

it’s odd because I find lemmy more engaging, but perhaps its because of clickbait discussions that come up on the first page.

• Boozilla
      link
      fedilink
      English
      210 months ago

100% correct. It’s a powerful illusion because back in the day it was a real site with real people on it. It’s taking some folks a long time to pick up on this.

There is almost no real content on there. If it’s not a bot / AI, it’s some shill with an agenda. It’s all about the ads and clicks.

• @joenforcer@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      210 months ago

Replace “reddit” with any free service. Welcome to the Internet.

And before you “ackshually Lemmy” me, someone is paying for it. Perhaps even you, if you’ve donated to your home instance.

• @Wiz@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        110 months ago

The Fediverse - being “free as in beer” rather than “free because you’re the product being sold” is different.

It’s different because it costs somebody money. If you’re being an asshole on commercial social media, the company has financial incentives to keep you around. You’re bringing in more eyeballs.

If you’re being an asshole on a Fediverse server, it costs an admin something. They have to deal with complaints. They have potential reputational loss or defederation for their server. The server that they pay for!

Admins are paying for the server, so they must decide: is all this bullshit worth it? Is it something they really believe in and stand by with their real money and energy?

I think that changes the calculus of assholes, bots, and Onlyfans on social media.