I have been slowly degoogling my life by reducing my use of Google apps and switching to FOSS alternatives. I recently created a Proton account and tried to keep it completely isolated from my default Google account so as to not let it know what my Proton mail identity is. I have finished my transition in my desktop to the best of my ability and am planning to start the same with my mobile. The only thing I have done in my Android phone related to Proton is having downloaded ProtonVPN and signed into my account within the app. However I fear by downloading ProtonMail and signing into it, my Android phone would identify the email account, which could make this entire transition useless. Is there a way to avoid this situation or has the damage already been done. What does Google know about my Proton account, if at all?

• Siliconic
    link
    6110 months ago

If you’re that worried you should really switch to a degoogled Android like GrapheneOS. But fwiw I doubt google would know your Protonmail address just from logging in through the protonmail app

• 👁️👄👁️
      link
      fedilink
      English
      510 months ago

Doesn’t change anything. On GrapheneOS, you still need to install play services to get push services working on ProtonMail. Another privacy friendly email provider, Tutanota, they wrote their own push notification stuff to get it to work on degoogled phones specifically.

• @Dsklnsadog@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        210 months ago

Wow I never ever even consider tutonota over proton, but this is the kind of stupid and simple thing that make so much difference in my book. I don’t want to install Proton in my Google Profile.

• 👁️👄👁️
          link
          fedilink
          English
          210 months ago

Yeah they both have their pros and cons, personally I prefer Tutanota as a company. Their client is a bit rough, but they make is secure, private, foss, and degoogled as much as possible. They’re also super cheap and I only pay like $12 a year for premium and two custom domains.

• Siliconic
        link
        110 months ago

Firstly, Sandboxed Google Play on GrapheneOS is nowhere near as bad as a stock Android phone. Secondly, you don’t need it. You can use a different email client like K-9 Mail, that’s what I use. Personally I wouldn’t recommend Proton or Tutanota, I use Posteo. What you just said about their stupid app requiring google play is exactly the sort of thing I don’t like about Proton. Wait don’t they require you to pay their subscription to use third-party email clients? Eugh